Is UNIX free and where to download it from

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by michael78, Jan 22, 2009.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Been looking a new jobs (I'm not looking but do from time to time to see what employers are looking for). UNIX is creeping into a few high end tech jobs and I was wondering now I've got my server setup with virtualisation if UNIX was free and where to get it from.

Also what are the major players in UNIX?

Cheers

Michael

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. mattstevenson

mattstevenson Byte Poster

Linux, BSD, Mac OS X (10.2 - Present), Solaris? I think you're thinking of it too much like 'Unix v12, Unix XP, Unix Vista.' It's more a foundation for other OSes these days, and has been for years. Have a look on Wikipedia.

Certifications: Triple A+. Network+, CCENT
    WIP: MCP, ICND2, Sec+
  3. michael78

I knew it was sort of like how Linux is but really wanted to know what types of UNIX are used in a server environment. Sorry mate probably didn't explain it very well but good pointer towards Wiki cheers.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Er - Linux is effectively a form of Unix.

Probably the three major groupings these days are Solaris, *BSD and Linux.

I say *BSD, as there are quite a few flavours - FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD being the best known.

Your best bet is to check just which Unix you are looking at - and getting that, or it's close relative.

Because of ancient history there are differences in the way some Unixs behave, and differences in file layout.

There are a huge selection of different GUIs that you can use as well.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. michael78

Cheers for the replies. I knew Solaris was based on Unix but it's being dropped in favour of Linux (correct me if I'm wrong) and also what is HP Unix as I think thats what I'm after. Can you download HP Unix and is it free. Just want to install it and have a play on with it.

7. hbroomhall

Dropped by who? Solaris is still going strong, and has features that many versions of Linux lack.
    HP Unix aka HP-UX is not available free as far as I know.

As HP-UX is SystemV based (SystemV is a particular flavour, the major alternative being BSD) I'd say that OpenSolaris might be the closest.

However - if you have never dealt with any Unix-like OS before perhaps the easiest intro would be Ubuntu. This has one of the easiest and slickest installations of almost any OS I've seen.

Harry.

8. michael78

Cheers Harry for the reply. I read somewhere that Sun were moving away from Solaris into Linux. I use Ubuntu but wanted to get my hands on a pure UNIX platform. It looks like Solaris or BSD are the choices open to me then.

Cheers everyone for the help...:biggrin

9. hbroomhall

Er - it depends on what you mean by 'pure Unix'. Unfortunately the term Unix has been much abused over the years, which is why other names tend to be used, as there is no real definition of 'Unix', other that defined by 'The Open Group' which now holds the old AT&T licence.

Have a look at this article that explains things a bit.

Note that *BSD is not a SystemV based OS, so will have major differences from HP-UX.

Harry.

10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I loved using Unix it annoyed me when the servers were changed and it went to win2k3

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  11. Steve.L

Steve.L Byte Poster

Most widely used Unix's on servers are in no particular order:-

HP_UX both on pa risc and itanium
    Solaris both on x86 and sparc
    AIX on PPC

They are all somewhat similiar although HP_UX does have a strange way of setting up volumes.

Hth

Steve.L

Certifications: N+, MCP, MCTS, RHCT, VCP4 and 5, RHCSA
    WIP: ccna
  12. michael78

Cheers guys for the pointers. I've downloaded Solaris and installed it using VirtualBox. Was going to buy a book on OpenSolaris but there doesn't seem to be any on Amazon.

13. hbroomhall

Lots of links to Solaris stuff here.

Harry.

14. michael78

Cheers Harry good link mate :D

15. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Eh? Lol.

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE