is ubuntu and linux the same operating system?

Discussion in 'Linux+' started by napninjax, Jul 29, 2011.

1. napninjax

napninjax Bit Poster

?

like there's
    Linux
    and
    Ubuntu

Certifications: (the Consition Test Public law 195),Certificate Of Achievement For Completion Of Computer Technology Training,
    WIP: Network+, Security+, Server+, Project+, Linux+, A+,
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Ubuntu is a flavour of Linux. There are many variations on Linux because it is Open Source such as Ubuntu, Red Hat, Mint, Backtrack :) etc etc They are all Linux distributions or distro's. Try putting some different versions onto a virtual machine and see what you like. The latest release Ubuntu, 11.04 is pretty sweet IMHO as you can duel boot it with windows without giving it its own partition, it just allocated space to a flat file and adds an entry to your boot loader. Simples

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

i use mint and it kind of does that same thing, i believe i can uninstall it via windows if i want rid. I find myself using linux most though as it's faster, has a nicer enviroment and i love the virtual desktop screen where you can spread your work over 4 desktops and swith at will. most of all, all the software is free and open office is compatible with MS office files.

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon