Is two months enough?

Discussion in 'A+' started by thecresta, Apr 23, 2007.

1. thecresta

thecresta Bit Poster

Hi all,

I would deperately like to get my A+ certification by the end of June. I finished reading the Myers book in January, giving myself a few months to revise and go for the 2003 exams.

Unfortunately in recent months have had some fairly life-changing events that have prevented my from getting any decent study time in. And now the 2003 objectives deadline is just over two months away... :eek:

I now have two choices:

a) Take the 2003 exams quickly with little revision time. This may provide me with two passes, but may also leave me with a useless single pass or none at all)
    or
    b) Start reading the 2006 objectives and at least be able to re-take the exams at a later date if I fail.

Is there a lot more to take in when moving from the 2003 to 2006 objectives? For example, is the new stuff difficult to take in, or are the processors etc that are focused on different?

By the way, at the moment I'm getting between 60 - 70% on practice exams with little revision, but I wouldn't like to trust that too much. I'm get pretty stressed when it comes to taking exams... :rolleyes:

Certifications: MCP, MCDST (70-271, 70-272), MCTS (70-680), (70-290)
    WIP: MCSA, MCITP, EIEIO
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Only you will be able to gauge whether you think you're ready for both A+ exams or not. If you think you're ready or close to it, take the 2003 exams. Otherwise, take the 2006 exams. Unfortunately, we can't make that decision for you.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Wise words :rocks

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  4. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

in my opinion you should take the 2006 exams, use the 2 months to study the new material, im assuming there is some crossover between the 2 exams so its not like starting from scratch

if you feel you are not ready in 2 months, try for 3 months, will an extra month or even 2 weeks make that much difference?

dont rush things. Anything worth doing is worth doing properly

Certifications: BND ICT Systems Support and Networking
    WIP: A+
  5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Hello thecresta

Nice Avatar,:biggrin

As one monkey to another I know how difficult it is to sit down and get some decent revision behind you without life's distractions.

Before booking the exam in 2003 objectives I would recomend doing some mock test using exam prep software such as
    Transcender
    ExamCram2
    VNP (like transcender but a dam sight lot cheaper)

If you pass these Mock exams with 80% or more then book the 2003 exams because your ready!

If you find you are getting low marks. save your money and go for the 2006 objectives.

Good Luck in whatever decide:biggrin

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Well said 8)

Its really up to you if you think you can cover all the material in two months. I think you know the answer :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I recently passed the OS for 2003 objectives (2 weeks ago) and now I'm revising for the hardware before the end of June.

If you were definitely on passing 1 exam now, I would say go for the 2003 objectives like myself. But if I was in your shoes, I'd not risk £150 to try and push for the 2003 objectives and just do the 2006 ones.

As the others say, its your call. I'm confident for 2003 A+ but only as most of the work is behind me.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  8. thecresta

thecresta Bit Poster

Thanks for the advice everyone! :biggrin

Based on what you have all said (and after looking at the new objectives) I would feel far more confident and comfortable aiming to get the 2006 Essentials in a couple of months, rather than struggling to get both 2003 exams. After all, most the knowledge I have gained already will still be applicable to the new objectives. And who knows if there aren't more setbacks ahead?

As I already have the 2003 Myers book would you recommend I get the 2006 version, or is there a better place I can find the updated material?

Many thanks again! (I love this place! :biggrin)

Certifications: MCP, MCDST (70-271, 70-272), MCTS (70-680), (70-290)
    WIP: MCSA, MCITP, EIEIO
  9. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Get the new Mike meyers 6th edition 2006 objectives for A+.

Also there's Trips book - a practical guide to PC engineering :biggrin

10. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

QFT can't wait to start reading this book, got it for my birthday :p

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  11. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

When you do read it mate, don't forget to pop over to Amazon and write a review on it. You never know trip might give you a discount for his next one:biggrin

12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Smart arse. :dry

The next one is O'Reilly's SharePoint 2007: The Definitive Guide but it's not a certification oriented book *and* I don't control prices or discounts. :wink:

By the way guys, thanks for the plug, and a review at amazon would be a definite help. :D

As far as if 2 months is enough, to quote Mr. Incredible We get there when we get there. In other words, you'll be ready when you're ready. For some people it would take two months, for others, longer. Just depends on how you learn and your aptitude for this sort of material. Good luck.

-Trip

Certifications: A+ and Network+