Is this too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by NewBee, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Not your fault NB - i suspect someone requested it to be removed from the site. Google has picked this thread up to replace it! :biggrin

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You are correct... it would have been massive fail: he'd have spent 3K to get a job when most people get jobs for free. :twisted:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. NewBee

NewBee Bit Poster

dazza786 and BosonMichael, why do you take such joy in people making mistakes? This post was supposed to be a little advice regarding an industry im trying to find my way into and has hopefully turned into giving a bit more exposure to the unscrupulous individuals/organisations that take advantage of people.

I'm lucky, i'm a very experienced salesman as it happens, so I don't think I would have been sucked into their "training programme" like those less experienced and don't recognise the sales pitch. I had my doubts from the very start if you read my original post.

If you haven't got anything constructive to add to the thread, don't both posting.

Certifications: BTEC National Diploma in Computer Studie
    WIP: A+
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Ok, lets recap.

OP: Is this too good to true?
    Certforums: Yes

OP: Well I`ll look into it...
    Certforums: Its too good to be true!

OP: Ahhh, it *is* too good to be true.
    Certforums: Glad you didn’t throw your money down the drain and waste your time.

End of discussion. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

It's like this;

People ask us if it is a duck, they even confirm it kind of seems like a duck. We then all tell them, it's 99.9% a duck, it sounds like a duck, it's similar to every duck that we have seen before (and we have seen a lot). The Poster then goes "It may not be a duck, it may be the goose that lays my golden eggs". We say "it isn't". They run off, report back a week later having wasted a journey and confirm to us, that indeed, it was just a duck.

People basically ask us for advice, get a resounding answer, and just choose to ignore it, and that begs the question, why bother asking? seems to us like they ask, hoping deep down that they get told it's a real job.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  6. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Guys remember when you want to get into IT you will explore every avenue open to you. Whilst this job smelled of bull droppings it's easy to dismiss if you are giving advice but the guy went to see and confirmed it was a con. We should just leave it at that and give the guy advice to help and not say told you so. I would be very critical of people that sign upto CF just to say I've signed up for a 4k course and been ripped off. Those people are stupid for not doing their homework first before signing away a large chunk of their money.

If I was in his shoes I would of went as well.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  7. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

I don't know where you've got that from mate but it certainly wasn't from my post. If you read the pages up until my post, you will see that it was getting boring with people telling you 'no no no you shouldnt go, don't waste time' so I suggested you go to it as it's not that much of a waste. You would have at least got some 'interview' experience, whatever it may be. The only other thing I was saying is that, with the amount of posts that had said 'hmm yep, pretty much a TP'.. you would have been extremely stupid to have gone and walked away with £4000 less in your wallet.

But yeah thanks for the personal attack :]

Exactly, it happened to me once. Fortunately it was only a 'telephone interview' and i suspected something was dodgy when he started asking for an immediate deposit of £500 and wanted my card details. I then told him I didn't have this money and his reply was 'Well, what have you got? £50 will do'. '**** this' was my immediate thought. But anyway..

Advice is advice, and a person is a person, and that person is going to do whatever they want to do despite any advice. It was clear from the start that NewBee wanted to attend this 'interview' which is fair enough, he did, and everybody was right. It just validates the advice that people on CF are giving to information seekers on the TP topic.

IMO this should be closed now with Sparky's perfect last post.

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well it isnt our policy to step in too often and close threads. We just kinda hope that people STFU :p

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I don't take any joy in it at all. That's why I spend my time posting on this forum... so people don't make mistakes.

Understand now? :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. Michael Jones

Michael Jones New Member

Hi There,

Im have been doing a managed career programme with netcom training in birmingham (mcsa) since october 2009
    before that i was looking for job in IT as thats what iv always wanted to do nobody would give me a chance... im now working for the NHS and doing the mcsa part time in the evenings Netcom found me the job and gave me the flexibility so i could still do my mcsa...If it wasnt for netcom i would still be unemployed looking for a job and never have got in too IT as i didnt have much experience... They help me lot now im on 29k have a company car... my life is sorted :D

thanks netcom

Michael J.

QUOTE=NewBee;325633]Hi guys,

i've not got a great deal of IT experience career wise (mostly building computers for myself, at home) and the only qualification I have is a BTEC National Diploma in Computer Studies, which I did a few years ago and it wasn't a great course at the time either (I am studying the A+ at the moment though) but while looking for potential future positions, I found an opportunity with a company that doesn't require any experience as they provide all training and seem to suggest that you could be selected for a 'managed career programme'.

So my question is, does this seem realisitic? Or is it more likely that they'll want me to pay for a course like i've seen on the internet where you buy the course and they put you in touch with potential employers, all for a fee of course!

They rang me back today and have arranged an interview for me on Monday.

If anybody has heard of this sort of thing before I'd appreciate the advice. Just seems too good to be true.

Thanks guys.[/QUOTE]

11. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

*sniff* *sniff* I smell a stooge

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  12. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

[/QUOTE]

Aaah.
    Are you the guy in charge of quality control?
    Or HTML tags?
    Or proof reading?

Tell you what, I'm not taking anything prescribed by you.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  13. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Aaah.
    Are you the guy in charge of quality control?
    Or HTML tags?
    Or proof reading?

Tell you what, I'm not taking anything prescribed by you.[/QUOTE]

Don't you know? the NHS give out company cars and the like to every Middle IT guy.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  14. andrew2097

andrew2097 New Member

My experience with Netcom was very good I was interested in getting Microsoft Certified and the prices were really good the training was full time but I did the evening classes as I was working during the day. It took around 7 weeks and we had workshops as well which gave us hands on experience i managed to pass my exam with the first attempt which was great.

Thanks Netcom

15. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

'Thanks Netcom', standard sign off eh? ;)

16. garycul

garycul Nibble Poster

I saw this....

Netcom Training Solutions is an IT Company that doesn't live up to what they say and when they give out experience for training they expect you to pay out a high amount of money to get there and wasn't guaranteeing me a full time job at the end of the course and i feel like they would of kept asking me to do course's and not get a full time employment.

and...

Let alone the harassment they give you if you change your mind about doing a course with them and luring you there on the false pretence of a job interview!

Certifications: 70-697 Configuring Windows Devices, 70-680 Configuring Windows 7, 70-687 Configuring Windows 8.1, TCP/IP ON NT4, NT 4 Server, NT4 Workstation, Windows 95, Windows 3.1, ITIL SLM Practitioner, ITIL v2 and v3 Foundation