Is this too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by NewBee, Nov 18, 2009.

1. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

It's not a real job.

In the current climate, why on earth would anyone want to recruit someone who had to be trained while they were working in the position?

There are plenty of people who have all the skills and experience already to do IT support jobs, so why not just hire them?

No matter how good it sounds, at some point they are going to ask for money for something - and it will usually be after they've got you hooked.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  2. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I'll be honest I think you will struggle a lot in the current jobs market. I would stay in your job and continue studying and when the market picks up again in a year+ then maybe junior roles or 1st line (if your lucky 2nd line) might start popping up. Look on job sites such as jobsite.co.uk, reed.co.uk and cwjobs etc. Also local jobs suppliments in Newspapers and just word of mouth.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  3. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

^^^^ slypie said

if they say its a job interview and its not! put in a claim in for travailing expenses and loss of earnings, if any.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
    Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  4. free-advice

free-advice Nibble Poster

If my memory serves me correct, these guys used to called Tech Connect, they went bust a few years ago and looks like they have re-branded.

I hope this helps.

FA

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The worst that could happen is that they'll convince you that you've got nothing to lose by signing with them. If I had a dollar for every person who said, "Oh, that won't happen to me!", I'd be sitting in my oceanfront house typing this message.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

This.

They will probably make you feel guilty by saying **** like We've gone to all this trouble to find a good candidate like you this will be your sure fire way into the world of IT and in 6 months time you'll be earning 30k a year.

This is what these places do and it's bollocks. Stay away and good luck.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Fake job advertisement

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Because you get to have cheap labour for a longer time period = more money in the company's pockets.

Because you have to pay them more to start with = less money in the company's pockets. They will most likely move on sooner too causing more expenses to find someone to replace them.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  9. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  10. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Hah! Busted!

I'm getting increasingly p****d off at job websites carrying obvious TPs "job" adverts which are clearly (or not so clearly in this case) designed to recruit people onto a training course rather than an actual job.
    I think I'll start emailing the job sites to complain when I see one. If I do it often enough they might start to get the idea.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  11. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Me too - it's very annoying and a lot of the claims made are the usual outrageous stuff on salaries and job promises.

Even worse are the Jobsites that are now sending out mailers suggesting you train for an IT career with "Home Learning College" etc. They clearly have no real idea what working in the IT sector really requires :x

12. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about them. I've got three, from three different sites, in the last two days.
    I don't want an online degree (is that even worth the paper it's not written on), learn at the home learning college, get my CV tweaked at a price or learn about franchise opportunities thank you very much. Jobs only please.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  13. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Thats more effective if everyone does it. perhaps we should have a "name and shame" forum where we can detail it, and get everyone to email the jobsite...

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  14. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

amen!

I like Fergal's idea as well, a concerted effort to get jobsites to stop sending out ****e would definitely be worth it!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  15. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Be good if BCS had a go at them too ! :p

16. NewBee

NewBee Bit Poster

Ok, little update guys. I gave them a ring and the person I spoke to "assured me" that it was just a job interview and that I would not have to pay for anything. I told her while "researching" the job on their website, it led me to believe I would have to pay for my training if I got the job. She said that I wouldnt have to it was just an interview.

They wouldnt tell me a blatant lie, would they? Surely they would be opening themselves up to claims against them etc if that was how they went about their business? :dry

Certifications: BTEC National Diploma in Computer Studie
    WIP: A+
  17. BosonMichael

You're dead set on going to this interview, aren't you? :)

Good luck. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  18. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Go for the interview but as said before don't sign anything without reading it first and if they do turn around and say it will cost money then walk away.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  19. NewBee

NewBee Bit Poster

Thanks guys, I'll let you know what happens on Monday! :blowingup

Certifications: BTEC National Diploma in Computer Studie
    WIP: A+
  20. BosonMichael

And don't fall for the old trick that usually goes something like "If you/we fulfill these conditions, then you won't have to pay anything" or "You'll only have to pay if these certain things happen." Of course it doesn't cost money... oh except when this happens or this happens or this happens... :blink