Is this too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by NewBee, Nov 18, 2009.

1. NewBee

NewBee Bit Poster

Hi guys,

i've not got a great deal of IT experience career wise (mostly building computers for myself, at home) and the only qualification I have is a BTEC National Diploma in Computer Studies, which I did a few years ago and it wasn't a great course at the time either (I am studying the A+ at the moment though) but while looking for potential future positions, I found an opportunity with a company that doesn't require any experience as they provide all training and seem to suggest that you could be selected for a 'managed career programme'.

So my question is, does this seem realisitic? Or is it more likely that they'll want me to pay for a course like i've seen on the internet where you buy the course and they put you in touch with potential employers, all for a fee of course!

They rang me back today and have arranged an interview for me on Monday.

If anybody has heard of this sort of thing before I'd appreciate the advice. Just seems too good to be true.

Thanks guys.

Certifications: BTEC National Diploma in Computer Studie
    WIP: A+
  2. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Too good to be true looking at the current climate in job market. Look up Fraser MacKenzie on this forums. There is plenty of threads related to "too good to be true" interview offers.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  3. ben_westbrom

ben_westbrom Bit Poster

Hmmm, seems to good to be true. But go to the interview, it can't hurt.
    Do they require any financial input from you?

And also, what company is it? You live near me i might of heard of them.

Certifications: A+, MCDST, 70 - 290
    WIP: 70-291
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

...unless they manage to convince you to buy into their scheme. :rolleyes:

Go on, take a bite... surely you won't die! :D

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. ben_westbrom

ben_westbrom Bit Poster

Yeah, don't sign up for anything on the day!

Certifications: A+, MCDST, 70 - 290
    WIP: 70-291
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Then what is there to gain by interviewing with one of these companies? Waste of time, in my opinion, but if you feel confident that you won't be convinced, go for it. But be fully aware that their job is to convince you - one way or another - and from what I've read in other posts, they're pretty good at it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. NewBee

NewBee Bit Poster

It's a company called Netcom. I've had a look at their site and they seem to do support and training. Can't really get a confident idea from it though whether they want to sell you a training package or have you work for them, or may be both!

Has anybody had any experience of this though? I mean, has anybody been to an interview and they've said something like 'if you buy our training courses from us and complete them we'll give you a job or put you in touch with employers who are recruiting? Or may be its more under hand than that?:rolleyes:

8. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Do you have a link to their site? There seems to be a lot of netcoms around.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

The first thing cut in a business is training funding so given the current climate not really sure why companies would to train someone for the role when there are plenty of people suitable and currently unemployed (where the employer is helped out with wages for taking someone on in these circumstances). I guess the "managed career programme" is another word for a training course, which you've guessed it - needs paying for!

I would suspect it is what you have already concluded, so it's up to you if you want to attend. Bare in mind, if you do attend there will be people present who are very convincing and receive commision when people sign a contract on the day knowing full well most people may change their mind if they tell others after leaving!

Let us know if you go and the outcome!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  10. NewBee

NewBee Bit Poster

This is the actual job post.

IT Support Technicians - (1st Line Support, IT Help Desk, Network Support)
    Birmingham central

IT Support
    Netcom is one of UKs largest Microsoft Gold Certified Partner.

We are currently recruiting trainee IT professionals (1st Line Support, IT Help Desk, Network Support) to work with us and with other corporate clients.
    Working hours between 8am -6pm Monday - Friday

Job role and duties for the IT Support role involve:

- 1st line 2nd line support.
    - Basic Telephone IT help desk support.
    - Network infrastructure support.
    - Administrating Windows XP and Server 2003.
    - Hardware/ software support.
    - shadowing senior IT professionals.
    - Repairing PC’s Laptops and printer problems.

If you do not have the right qualifications or experience you could be selected for a managed career program which includes working practical hands-on experience and Microsoft official Training WHILE YOU ARE WORKING IN AN IT POSITION.

This is a great opportunity for people who are looking to get their first job in IT Support (1st Line Support, IT Help Desk, Network Support)

If you’re interested apply for this IT Support (1st Line Support, IT Help Desk, Network Support) position this could be your opportunity to get a career in IT

No experience is needed for this position as full training can be provided.

This is their website: www.netcomtrainingsolutions.com/

Thanks for all the replys so far, I'm glad i'm not just being paranoid then! I'm still gonna give it a go whats the worst that could happen??? :ohmy

11. Boycie
    Honorary Member

so it is a training provider. Where is the job being advertised?

12. NewBee

NewBee Bit Poster

Do you mind if I don't say at the moment which site its posted on? I don't want to appear ungreatful for advice or anything but If this jobs actually for real I don't want too many other people applying as well! Don't mean to sound really self centred but this could be my first IT job (at least first opportunity) and i'm actually quite excited about it!

13. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Its a TP. almost guarantee you that theres no job, only a training course you have to pay for. Betting they will spin you a tale about "helping" or "guaranteeing" a job at the other end of the course, but it will be full of loopholes to prevent them having to. Probably something telling you that you wont have to pay a penny back if you actually get a job through their services, but same again.

Oh, and they will probably have you take a "test", and tell you you have been "specially selected" or "passed" the criteria required to work for them.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but this is almost certainly not a job. Its not the career break you are looking for.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  14. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

The whole thing smells very fishy to me, but the line above really stood out. Trainee IT professionals? That just doesn't make sense. Take out IT and it sounds even more ridiculous.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  15. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Of course not, although you have to ask yourself: If you had a company and paid a newspaper, recruitment agency etc to advertise a post for you, wouldn't you want it advertised on your own site too?

Edit:
    Just noticed they do (minus any description) here with the figures used by all the companies: 18K for helpdesk, 30K for network manager etc.

Let us know how you get on.

16. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

It took me approx 5 seconds to find it.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  17. NewBee

NewBee Bit Poster

Yeah, its all very suspicious isn't it! The phone call was a bit too 'booking like' which alerted me a little too. Well I didn't expect an IT position with such little experience so no harm done i'm working unlike some who aren't so fortunate so I can't complain too much. I'll have to go through with the interview though, if not just so I can impart the experience on others who may fall into such traps.

SO moving away slightly, where would you suggest looking for IT jobs? Anywhere that might take somebody on who is studying their A+? I do have plenty of cust. service experience so a helpdesk position might not be too far out of reach! :)

18. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

When you get there, waste as much of their time as possible, and make them think you will be back to sign on the dotted line for the £5k course they are going to try to sell you.

Bunch of tw**s

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  19. NewBee

NewBee Bit Poster

Yeah that sounds like a plan mate!
    ;)

20. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

sounds like a scam or Training provider. Go if your wanting to find out more but whatever you do don't sign anything on the day and read the small print. If they give you the usual crap you get a one time discount for signing up today then walk away as cowboy places like using that one with people wanting to desperately get into IT.

Got to agree with other can't see a company taking on people with no experience when the market is full of qualified out of work IT professionals so it does smell a bit off. Still go but just be mindfull. Find out about the company and do a google search first.

Again don't sign or part with any money up front.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011