Is this okay to mention higher salary to recruitment agency?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by momer79, Jan 31, 2011.

1. momer79

momer79 Bit Poster

Hi,

I have recently got a job offer and i mentioned the 2k higher salary than i am on now to the recruitment agency, just to get more money in my next role.

I am wondering if this can put me in trouble after starting a new role, specially when the new company will get the reference from my current employer and they might ask for my current salary?

I have given them any references yet.

2. ethernet0

ethernet0 Byte Poster

These are the things you have to do when dealing with agencies.

It's highly unlikely a your potential employer will ask your current wage from the referees, there is no reason to. You were offered a salary on the basis of your skillset/experience not what you used to earn. Just stop fretting!

You can always say the agency made a mistake if it comes to it ;)

3. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I would be very disappointed if any ex-employer shared such details with my new employer during the reference check.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, unlikely that kinda info would be given.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Denver Maxwell

Denver Maxwell Nibble Poster

My previous not only passed on my Salary information.. they got it wrong, quoting my starting salary!

it made no difference in the end though!

:)

Certifications: VMware VCP v5, GVF Level 3a, ITIL V3, Windows 2008 something or other...
    WIP: Prince 2? CCENT? mmm donno
  6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

It's pretty unethical that employers share this information, always ask what you think you're worth...

Tell them your salary is none of their business if you don't want to lie about it.

7. loca1hero

loca1hero Byte Poster

I would find it really annoying if my previous employers would share such info and would be more disappointed with the potential employer who is trying to offer me the job on basis of my skills/ experience but wants to pay me by doing that. When I see jobs advertised with no salary specified and it says negotiable then that is were you get asked by the agency for your expected salary or the employer might decide after the interview how much they are willing to offer.

Certifications: Network+ (004), MCP, see signature
    WIP: MCITP & few oths.Cisco aft sum XPri
  8. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

But surely those details would be on your P45 anyway??

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  9. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

This is after you get the job, agree on your new salary and sign the contract though

WIP: Uhmm... not sure