Is this just a scam ? Job guarantees / training

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Flamehearted, Apr 14, 2005.

1. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

so did you lose your £6000?

tell me something, did you know which certifications you would be studying for?
    did you ask them what area of IT they would be training you in?

are you a guy or a girl?

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  2. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

i'd go for female or strange male but please, theyscammedmetoo, a little spacing in your posts wouldn't hurt.....the eyes at all!

cheers! :tongue

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Ohmigawd...I'm blind.

Sorry...but that was the first thought that popped into my head when I tried to read your post. I gave up because the writing is organized into such a compressed block of text, I couldn't make heads or tails of it. I'm not trying to be rude but it would be very helpful if you broke up your text into smaller blocks. Thanks.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Nawww. You're like the rest of us and get something similar to snowblindness when faced with a half-page of text with very little punctuation, very little capitalization, and no paragraphs to break up ideas.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Hang on a sec...
    You saw a ad which offered you a future with a high salary in a field that you have little ability in and wanted to know more.

So you went for an 'interview' that missed bits out and didn't really make it clear what was going on.

Yet you went back again, and this time gave them 6000 of your money, convinced that it would all begin to make sense eventually.

Then you end up on a course and aren't really sure what you are studying.

Sorry, but that's how I read it.
    I'm sorry about what's happened to you, but from your post it doesn't actually look as if the company has done anything wrong.
    Were you expecting IT training to be like an expensive carwash? In one end and out the other as Bill Gates with no hard work in between?

Any company will happily take your money if you give it to them. If I ask to buy a Braille reader, the salesman isn't going to turn round and say 'but you're not blind...' That doesn't make him a con-man.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. jimbo

jimbo New Member

Hi every one I have just spent 2 hours ,(yes I know sad for a Friday night but I think this is important ) reading through most of the Threads posted about training and learning from home .I to have gone through the interview stage with Advent and today received a letter from them offering me a place on there MCSE course ,with a view to becoming a Systems Engineer . I am allso very aware of the fact that the next stage is that they want me to sign up for £6000 worth of tuition and course work but after reading the post I am even more unsure than I was before .I am so glad I found this forum .Some of the post mention doing the work myself with the help of a few good books and a home pc lab can anyone give me some idea what this would involve and what books I should look for thank JIMBO :eek:

7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hey Jimbo, sounds like staring from scratch is what you're after. Google for A+, and have a look at our guide to resources for it HERE (clickable link)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

[​IMG]

???

9. Newbie

Newbie New Member

:iluvcf I LOVE U CERT FORUMS!

I went to an "interview" today with one of the training providers mentioned earlier in this thread, unfortunatly thanks to my sunny optimism and habit of
    daydreaming i managed to convince myself that there may actuly be some way i could get certified up to MCSE level in just 40 days, and then get a guaranteed 22k job after it :noob

Thankfully i was suspicious enough to come and check it out here, and now im certain you have all rescued me from a horrible fate at the hands of some shoddy con artists!

I bow to you sirs and will be forever grateful for this fantastic resource that is certforums.co.uk :cheers

Certifications: Bronze Swimming Certificate
    WIP: A+ & Silver Swimming Certificate
  10. IT 2005

IT 2005 Bit Poster

Admin (J): Repetitive Spamming removed

11. Muir

Muir Bit Poster

As an IT professional and a person currently studying for my MCDBA I am incensed by these companies, I mean £7000+ is crazy!!

As such I have made a formal requested to BBC Watchdog to highlight the concerns and dangers of signing up to such companies I’m not sure if anything will come of it but I urge anyone who been affected by them to either contact myself or better still contact watchdog yourself. You may not be able to save yourself but at least you can prevent other people from making the same mistake.

Certifications: Degree, HND, MCP (305, 306, 229)
    WIP: MCDBA
  12. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

It's worth a try Muir, if noone complains to them, they aren't very likely to cover it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  13. postal postie

postal postie Nibble Poster

have been reading all the informed thoughts about apprenta on here.

what seems to come from most people is that they had to pay 6000 up front.

i was told 1500 up front and if i get a job i pay the 4500 they paid, back to them. 150 a month.

14. postal postie

postal postie Nibble Poster

on further reading of this forum i think i WILL stear clear of apprenta.

15. shoodass

shoodass New Member

Oh Dear, i too have been to a Apprenta 'interview'. Fortunately i called the guy back monday but he's off sick and i've found this forum.
    Strangely enough i've changed my mind and will not be 'signing up' and paying £5000, It was £6000 but if i pay it upfront i get £1000 discount.
    I guess like most of us 'wannabees' it seems to be just what we want to get into IT, giving us the actual experience as well as qualifications.
    Looks like i will not be getting into IT at the moment??

16. Muir

Muir Bit Poster

Well shoodass you done that right thing and researched into want you were doing and so saved a potentially costy error. I'm glad you found us in time :)

Certifications: Degree, HND, MCP (305, 306, 229)
    WIP: MCDBA
  17. Swervyc

Swervyc New Member

Hi there,
    -------------------------------- So check the validity of the company first, and before you part with any money, speak to at least two people who this company have supposed to have trained previously on the same course. Also ask to see their training venues, as these are the things that i never checked and am now paying the price.

Certifications: None
    WIP: Comp Tia
  18. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

No not at all shoodass. Have a good look around CertForums and pay particular attention to posts about the A+. There is an A+ area of the forums. It's a great qualifcation to start with if you would like to start training in IT and build up some experience.

It's also possible to self study the A+ and most people do and are usually very successful in passing that way.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  19. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  20. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster