is this being to ambitious?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by tas121, Dec 31, 2006.

1. tas121

tas121 Nibble Poster

Northfield, Birmingham (B31)
    Salary: £11K to £15K
    Company: Able Personnel
    Job type: Permanent
    Date posted: 18/12/2006 14:25
    Description: ENTRY LEVEL IT

Vacancies exist within the I.T Operations Department for technicians working 40 hours per week (on a shift pattern).

Salary

11k to 15K, dependant on skill set.
    Job Purpose

To work closely with our Head Office Operations Centre, maintaining the internal Company networks and prepping machines, and to provide hardware and software support for internal users.
    Main Responsibilities

Upgrading, repairing or prepping hardware, as required, to meet user demands.

Installing software on user machines, after checking purchasing approval has been given.

Ensuring local back ups of all critical system data are taken and securely stored on a daily basis.

Monitoring backups from offsite and making sure company policies are being followed.

Provision and administration of e-mail, voicemail and Internet services to relevant users.

Domain administration as require reflecting current user/group activity and status.

Carrying out quarterly audits on hardware and software and update information to reflect any modifications as they occur.
    Skills and experience

The successful candidates will have:

An understanding of IT hardware and networks.

Familiarity with Microsoft operating systems, such as Windows 2000/2003 Server, Windows 2000/XP Professional.

An understanding of a LAN environment.

i just started studying A+ but i am keen to get a job and a foot in the door but is this being too ambitious or should i wait for a while till i have a more broad of knowledge?

please help!!

WIP: A+,mcp.mcdst,mcsa
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Tas,

I would apply even if you think you cannot carry out some of the duties in the job role.

If you do get an interview, put your cards on the table - explain what you can do, what you can do and the fact you are prepared to learn.

Best of luck

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Paul_o

Paul_o Nibble Poster

i would say if you can do 50% of what they require apply for it anyway. chances are if someone can do all that they want they would not apply for it anyway due to the money they are paying

Certifications: C&G Advanced diploma in network support
  4. tas121

tas121 Nibble Poster

well the thing is im not too bothered about the salary because i have not got much experience in working in i.t so i don't expect a good wage

5. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

Go for it now mate, anything you don't know you'll learn quickly enough.

Be a team player, understand the importance of downtime = lost money for the company and you'll be fine.

Go for it and don't fret about what you don't know- focus on what you can do .

Happy New Year!

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Go for it! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Worst they can say is "No". Go for it!!!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. tas121

tas121 Nibble Poster

ok thanks for all the advice its much appreciated. i applied for the job so fingers crossed i hope i get some positive feed back :)

9. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Good move, and good luck with the job buddy.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  10. Lugosi

Lugosi Bit Poster

I agree with all the other replies. Go for any job you like the look of, focus on what you can do and then dazzle the interviewer with your energy and desire.
    Its an entry level job, paying very little, they're not going to get an MCSE, what they want is someone with a clue who has the desire and ability to learn and add to the team.

Just keep on applying!:)
    Whats the worse that can happen?

Certifications: MCSE,MCSA messaging, MCITP Enterprise Admin, Security+, Net+, A+ etc
    WIP: Loads of stuff!
  11. tas121

tas121 Nibble Poster

yeh your right i have applied for it so hopefully i should get something positive back

12. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

I agree with all post's, and good luck with that too kiddo.
    I applied for my job without too much knowledge(1st line of support) and got the job, which i didnt expect...... only problem is now, i hate it!!!! lol

All the best

Craig

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: Thinking of MCDST
  13. Frontier

Frontier Byte Poster

Go for it m8! It sounds like an excellent foot in the door. You will gain alot of experience!

14. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

mate - if i seen that job before i would of went for it - so if thats the case, you should go for it aswell....

15. Frontier

Frontier Byte Poster

Its not a bad wage for a first techie job either, and you never know where it may lead if you play your cards right. Keep us informed how you get on with your application.

16. Krunchie

Krunchie New Member

I have applied for that role before xmas as well, think it will be at Kalamazoo as been for interview with them few years ago.

Go for it mate! i was learning around year 2000 just have to keep on applying for every IT Position you feel you can do! one point around 2000 i was applying for 100+ positions a week only hearing back from 1 or 2!

Once you get experience it will get easier, but keep applying for position like the above to break into IT.

Good luck

Certifications: MCSE, A+, ECDL, NVQ Level II in IT