Is this an issue?

Discussion in 'Software' started by greenbrucelee, Jan 14, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have comodo firewall and so have Windows firewall switched of. However when I go into security centre in Windows the display shows windows firewall as being ON but if I go into the settings it says it is OFF.

Is this an issue that could cause me problems?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Settings for what?

If for the Windows firewall then it is right.

When you install a 3rd party firewall the security centre gets updated with that fact - so shows the 3rd party firewall status. However you must use the 3rd party firewall settings to adjust it.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. greenbrucelee

I always thought it showed OFF on the windows firewall display and on the setting bit were you check if you want off or on applied when using a 3rd party firewall.

4. hbroomhall

Hm - I'm going to have to wait till this evening to double check this. My only XP machine here is on a domain, and seems to be behaving differently to my memory of my non-domain machine at home.

Harry.

5. greenbrucelee

maybe I'm just imagining that it should show OFF on both the display and in the settings, I am right in thinking though that if I was running two firewalls it would say in security centre that two are running and its a bad idea?

6. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

The security centre will check the status of ANY Firewall and Anti-virus and display the status of these even if they are not part of Windows.

So if you install and enable a 3rd party firewall, the Windows security centre will say that you have a Firewall and that it is ON. If you look at the status of the Windows Firewall you will see that it is OFF (provided you turned it off).

If you turn off both the Windows and 3rd party firewall then the Windows security centre will say that you do not have a firewall enabled and the status will be set to OFF. You will also get an alert from the security centre informing you that you do not have a firewall enabled, it will probably ask you if you would like to turn Windows firewall on.

Hope that helps 8)

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The Windows Security Setting are showing on, but your Windows firewall is off. But you're running a 3rd party firewall. Just making sure I got the info properly, end of the day not thinking straight :)

This may help:

Q: How does Windows Security Center detect third-party products and their status?
    A: Windows Security Center uses a two-tiered approach for detection status. One tier is manual, and the other tier is automatic through Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI). In manual detection mode, Windows Security Center searches for registry keys and files that are provided to Microsoft by independent software manufacturers. These registry keys and files let Windows Security Center detect the status of independent software. In WMI mode, software manufacturers determine their own product status and report that status back to Windows Security Center through a WMI provider. In both modes, Windows Security Center tries to determine whether the following is true:
    • An antivirus program is present.
    • The antivirus signatures are up-to-date.
    • Real-time scanning or on-access scanning is turned on for antivirus programs.
    • For firewalls, Windows Security Center detects whether a third-party firewall is installed and whether the firewall is turned on or not.

See here. So provided the 3rd party software works thru the WMI provider (plus certain reg keys, etc), Windows Security Center will say that your firewall present and on.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. greenbrucelee

ahh cheers people so I was being dumb. Thanks again people.

9. hbroomhall

And now I'm at home, I see that the appearance of the Security Center on my XP Home machine on a Workgroup is somewhat different from that on my laptop, which has XP Pro, and is setup to join a domain.

On the home machine the firewall appears to be 'On' on the main page, even though I am not using Windows Firewall, but instead using ZoneAlarm. That section, on the laptop, is entirely replaced by a box of text saying that the machine is part of a domain.

Harry.

10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I remember a few years back that some AV and software firewall products would not be picked up by security centre even if they were enabled. Another memory of the XP SP2 fun and games when it was released! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs