Is this a Typo?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by MacAllan, Jul 30, 2007.

1. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

my thoughts exactly Fergal!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

It might be worth remembering that NMW is a pre-tax amount. Therefor, £7 an hour is close to £2 over NMW

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

I don't see the point of this post. Yes, £7ph is not NMW - but NMW is for PERMANENT jobs, so this contract is not equivalent, as I've been trying to point out. It hides the other costs.

And yes, I'm sure the agency can arrange for an umbrella company to deal with your tax and NI for you - but they will be subtracting the employers NI from YOU, not the employer.

And they won't be paying you sick pay, holiday pay... blah blah blah.

Running these jobs as 'contracts' is a scam. Because we may be forced to do them, doesn't make them any better than what they are.

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

So I can understand this thread competely, can someone explain to me, black and white, what these costs are? I haven't contracted, and have never needed to, and I honestly don't understand what "extra" costs a contractor incurs. Sure, I understand there may be no holiday rates or sick pay - but aside from that, what else should someone look out for/be cautious of?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. drum_dude

The agency advertising seem to be an Employment agency that most likely deals with clerical and manual positions! They will not be an IT Agency so will most likely not know the meaning of "contracting" like we know it as! The job is obviously a call centre roll and more and more of these positions seem to be appearing as outsourcing companies have now blurred the lines between Helpdesk Analyst and Call Centre Operative!

Manpower are well known for advertising these jobs too - in fact I saw one in Birmingham for Crap Gemini paying £6p/h but they gave the positions fancy titles i.e. Incindent Handler, Incident Manager, Knowledgebase Manager blah blah blah!

Unfortunatley for IT, it has suddenly filled up dramaticly with "Managers" and the balance of power has tilted from the "tech" to the "Manager". As a result it is increasingly hard for the "tech" demand more money for their skills because in the past desperate low paid "techs" have offered their knowledge for very little to the "Manager". Armed with ITIL, and a false sense of confidence that they know A LOT about IT, the "manager" can now dictate wages to the low/mid level "tech". The "manager" strives everyday to keep the "tech" in his/her box! And the result....

£7ph

Fortunatly for me I don't have to worry about this rubbish - but I feel sorry for those that feel the need to get into these roles!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
  6. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  7. drum_dude

That agency are nothing to do with IT as such - just helpdesk!