is this a good price for cisco gear

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by 808, Feb 14, 2005.

1. 808

808 Nibble Poster

hi

i recently seen this on ebay

CISCO LAB

2610 , 801, WS-2950-24

LINK TO ITEM

is this a good price(i want to build my own lab)

Certifications: none yet
    WIP: A+,N+
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

perhaps if the second router was a 2600 series, or even a 2500 series
    but for an 801? doesnt seem that good a deal

you can pick up two 2501s for under 200
    leaving you 200 for switches (try and get two to practice Etherchannel etc)

Ill be writing a short guide on setting up your own CCNA Lab shortly, as well as upgrade paths for CCNP and CCIE R&S, as i am in the process of setting one up for a friend
    ill post more info shortly

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. rowley73

rowley73 Bit Poster

Sorry to bother you phoenix and i apologise if you've been run of your feet (or u've posted it and i cant find it), but I could really do with reading this guide at the moment as I need to set up a lab. I don't have a great deal of spare cash at the moment so would hate to jump in and purchase any equipment that was outdated or not required for ccna. I've had a browse around ebay and seen the link to the american site (ciscokits.com) on your other thread but this has just added to my insecurity in stumping up the cash for irrelevant equipment.

4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

well I havnt gotten around to it yet mate :) but dont worry, ill do my best

in the mean time my first recomendation would be go for 2600s not 2500s if you can afford the difference, they are modular and allow for a multitude of configurations and deployment scenarios, very important if you want to throw things together in different ways
    also being more modern they will likley have a newer IOS version with more upto date feature sets than the 2500s (which you could possibly try and update, but I am unsure if Cisco still provide images for this platform)

a few 2600s will be a good start, and allow you to add to them later, and customise them for future studies, and at worst, you can still fetch the buying price for them on ebay when your done with them, so 0 loss

sorry for the brief response :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. rowley73

rowley73 Bit Poster

Cheers M8. You basically covered my main question and that was wether to go for the cheaper 2500 series. Which obviously is not the best long term option. Cheers again.