Is there VMware software that can be used on linux?

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by Juelz, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

say linux is the main OS.. can I virtually run windows OS using VMware? I went on the website and stubbled on endless downloads, would be helpful if someone could point me in the right direction.. I'm not to knowledgeable of VMware (or even computers these days lol), I've used it once but didnt really play with it to much.

2. Shadowrunner

Shadowrunner Nibble Poster Premium Member

You'll probably be best with VMWare Player to start off with.

Get it here

Juelz likes this.
  3. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Thanks I wont be using it just yet as I don't have the actual PC yet, I'm just preparing everything so I can do a quick setup, is the Linux version free? as I noticed it mentions entering a licence key.

4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    Juelz likes this.
  5. BIBobby

BIBobby New Member

May i suggest VirtualBox, you can use it freely under GNU GPL 2. I've tried it under Zorin OS running Win 7 and it worked like a charm.
    Hope this helps.

Juelz likes this.
  6. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

By any chance do you (or anyone) know where I can get a trial version of windows 7? I've looked online and cant find anything, I know its hard to get as you cant get it from the official MS site but I remember finding it online about 4 months ago, it was very difficult to acquire and cant seem to find it again!

7. FlashDangerpants

FlashDangerpants Byte Poster

Certifications: MCITP Exchange 2010, MCSA Svr 2012
    WIP: Exchange 2013
  8. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

9. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Its you because I just pulled the 64bit one down from that link in just under 5 minutes (god I love my VM Cable connection :))

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  10. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

So you downloaded it in 5minutes? mine has decreased and is now on 17hrs at 18%.. but will most likely revert back to days instead of hours. I guess im having a bad speed tonight, usually 3gigs would take me 1.5-3hrs which isnt great but I hardly download so doesnt bother me much.

11. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Yes but I am on a 120meg Virgin Media Cable connection (that hits 125 most days).

12. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Maybe you can help me.. I was going through the installation process, but couldnt progress as it said I didnt have the correct drivers! also didnt name what the correct drivers were.. I downloaded the 64bit Ultimate edition, dont know if you can suggest what I could do to get it working.

13. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Do you have virtualisation enabled in the bios?

14. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I can only assume no

15. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Go in to the BIOS and look for anything related to virtualisation, it needs to be on.

Juelz likes this.
  16. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Arrrgh still didn't work (Visualization was actually disabled though) but I appreciate the suggestion.. some good came from your suggestion though, I now know how to access the BIOS in Windows 8..as if differs from previous Windows versions. Im wondering whether it would make a difference if I download the 32bit version... My CPU is 64bit but I'm just wondering whether it would make a difference as I have had windows 7 running through VMware before.

UPDATE: Managed to find my USB with the working windows 7 iso on and have installed it! its a trial version but I believe when you use trials with VMware you don't have to activate it after the trial is over.. correct?

Also found my XP disk from my old PC now turning that into a virtual PC, just windows vista to acquire now

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  17. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

No you still need to activate the Windows OSs, VMware or any virtualisation software vendor would be hung out to dry if they circumvented software activation.

As far as entering the BIOS is concerned, that should be done whilst booting up and is generally either by pressing the Del key or sometimes F10, when your pc does the POST test you should be informed which button it is to enter the BIOS.

18. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

On windows 8 entering bios is abit different I looked it up on youtube. On past versions I believe I used to hit F2 to enter the BIOS

19. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

No, have a think about this, how would you enter the BIOS if you were running a Linux OS?, the BIOS is OS agnostic and doesn't require a specific OS to enter. What you're probably talking about is the old style ROM BIOS and the newer style UEFI bios which look different (one is a straight keyboard style affair, the other can utilise a mouse as well as keyboard) but both still require you to access them at POST time.

I have various Windows 8 desktops here and not one of them require anything special to access the BIOS except pressing the Del key during POST (and I have a mix of Bios types as well).

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  20. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

This is the steps I used to enter BIOS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGiG1oljjZI&feature=youtube_gdata_player