Is there an easy way to do this?

Discussion in 'Networks' started by MrNice, Nov 22, 2006.

1. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

Hi,
    I am about to attempt to connect my work laptop XP PRO to my main home pc also XP PRO.

My only aim from this to be able to connect to my work domain through a VPN on laptop using my main pc's broadband connection.

Obviously while at work connected to domain i can access intranet or indeed if i find an open wireless network connection I can use VPN to access the intranet. Unfortunately i do not use wireless in home so rather than load all the ISP software on laptop is there an easy way to do this?

2. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Do you have ethernet ports on both computers? Also, what type of ADSL modem do you have?

Assuming yes to the first question and USB ADSL modem to the second, you should be able to connect the two computers with an ethernet crossover cable and enable ICS on the main PC. As long as you have any VPN software installed on the laptop you should be OK. If you have an ethernet modem, it's probably easiest just to connect it directly to the laptop. The best option would be to buy a cheap switch/router so you plug them both into that.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  3. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

I have ethernet port on both machines. It is a USB modem and i am using cross over cable.

Still cant get it to work though.

Also if i clone the VPN connection from my laptop and create a VPN on my main pc it does connect but if i then use internet explorer i still dont get the intranet?

I am sure i am having an attack of the stupids !

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Did you do what Baba said and enable ICS (Internet connection sharing) on your own PC? This needs to be done on the network connection that connects to your ISP. It will then configure the NIC with an IP address of 192.168.0.1 (i think) and your laptop should pick up an IP address of 192.168.0.2 - check out Windows help for ICS.

Regarding your other VPN issue when you try to connect from your PC, well that is probably a default gateway issue, when you connect with a VPN, there is a setting in properties which says use gateway on remote network. If you un-tick that check box you should still be able to surf using IE but it might break some of the functionality of the VPN.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)