Is there alot of maths involved in the CCNA/CCNP exam/job role?

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by Transformer23, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Transformer23

Transformer23 Bit Poster

Hi guys, i'm new to this forum, been reading alot but my first time posting. Im interested in studying for my CCNA then eventually my CCNP and just wanted to know if there was alot of maths involved in both the exam and job role?

I've done some research and results came up with subnetting but im still not to clear? Do you have to be really good at maths to get into this field?

Thanks for all the replies.

2. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

I'm sure some people will have an example of where they have had to use some mathematical knowledge, but in general no. The ability to think quickly in a logical manner will be of more use. There is subnetting like you say, but once you start learning it, you'll see it doesn't take much mathematical ability at all.

Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.
  3. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

Billyr is spot on.

Provided you can add/multiply/subtract.

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  4. Transformer23

Transformer23 Bit Poster

Thanks for the reply's. I can do the basic's add/multiply etc etc I was just wondering if it was going to abit more complex than this. This has put my mind at ease, thanks again.

5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Network engineers need minimal mathematics as mentioned.

There is a lot of maths in communications, just the engineers at AT&T, BT, Nortel and Cisco, etc have largely sorted it all out for you.

Read about Agner Krarup Erlang, Coding, Information Theory, Shannon–Hartley Theorem, Data Compression, Traffic Engineering and Queueing Theory.

Why not try improving your maths anyway ?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
    danielno8 likes this.
  6. Transformer23

Transformer23 Bit Poster

Thanks D, i will look into the info you posted. And i am doing a maths course in January, but still wanted to know about the maths side of things as i wasn't clear.

7. Adzmobile

Adzmobile Nibble Poster

Hello! You will need to learn binary maths which isnt very complicated.. and you will need to know your powers of 2 and be familiar with your 8, 16, 32, 64 times table... if you can get to grips with that.. then thats all you need pretty much for CCNA in terms of maths :)

Certifications: Commvault Administrator, CCNA, ITILv3, CCA for XenApp 6, CCAA for XenApp 6.5, CCA for XenDesktop 5, CCA for NetScaler 9.2, CCA for XenServer 6,VMware VCP5, VSTP 5, HP SMB Storage, Citrix Certified Enterprise Engineer (CCEE), EMCISA, VCAP-DCA
    WIP: DCUCI
  8. Transformer23

Transformer23 Bit Poster

Nice one Adz