Is the OSI model for network management used?

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Jiser, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

I am just wondering the OSI model for network management. Is it actually used, referred to etc in todays world?

Being at the bottom of the I.T. world I dont have a clue. I want to know if the stuff I am learning is going to be useful in the future. What are your views on the OSI model for network management.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  2. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Its important to understand the OSI model. It helps you to visualise what’s going on with network communication. The stuff in the lower layers, Physical, Data Link and Network will help enormously with understanding the differences between switches and routers and things like the MAC address are covered too. In short, the OSI model is worth studying.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  3. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

I mean:

OSI Network Management Model:

1) Configuration Management

2) Performance Management

3) Accounting Management

4) Fault Management

5) Security Management

TBH I guess its just a framework one should follow, or network mangement software.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  4. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

My bad. To be honest I have never studied it. We use the ITIL framework where I work.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  5. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

University is rubbish IMO! O well all over in a few weeks : P

Studying ATM, MPLS in detail. Fun fun!!

6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Theres a lot of management protocols about SNMP, JMX, SDM, DMTF, WBEM, CDM, DASH, SMASH, CIM, ASF, WS-Management, WMI, DTrace...

Its endless, is it important, I dunno depends what your job is i guess... :D

7. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

SNMP is the one we have to study. As well as ISO framework for management and OSI model management!