Is the MCDST right for me?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Shaneo85, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Shaneo85

Shaneo85 New Member

Hi guys, new member here so I apologise if this has been written in the wrong section.

I'm looking to train to get into the computing industry. I'm very good with troubleshooting problems such as virus issues, malware, install/uninstall, networking, file locations etc. I also know a fair bit on the hardware side of things such as how to build a PC. I've been the family 'techie' for about 8 years now and their always banging on how I should be doing it for a living. All of my knowledge is purely based on home computers though - I've never worked on an office network or anything like that.

What I'd like to know is, with the information above, does anyone think I might be a candidate for the MCDST?

The second thing I'd like to know is how the MCDST is looked at in terms of getting a job. I only have 3 GCSE's grade CCD in English Maths and ICT. Would an employer usually want a degree as well as a MCDST or is it enough to secure a job on it's own? I'm 24 and living in the UK and have never officially worked in a job with computers.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Shane

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

generally the starting certifications are:compTIA A+, compTIA Network+ and MCDST.

A few things you should be aware of:

If you do not pass the A+ and network+ by december 31st you will have re-sit them every three years to remain certified.

The MCDST is being retired in March so if you want to be certified in it then you need to pass it by then.

There are other certs you can do which is MCTS and MCITP which are based around vista and windows 7 depending on which exams you do.

The A+ covers the basics of hardware and software. 2 exams
    The N+ covers Networking. 1 exam.
    The MCDST covers installing and supporting XP and the applications that run on it. 2 exams.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Shaneo85

Shaneo85 New Member

Thanks very much for the quick reply, GreenBruceLee.

From the little research I've done before posting, I got the impression I would need the A+ and Network+ certs as well - so thanks for clearing that up.

Can you tell me why their retiring the MCDTS? Is it simply going to be named something else or are they doing away with it completely? If so, do you think there's much point in doing it?

Thanks again :)

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Its because Micorsoft are trying to push windows 7 and since the MCDST covers XP and MCTS covers windows 7 they now want that to be the main.

Although Windows 7 is a very good operating system and its what Vista should have been you have to remember that not every company can afford to move to a new OS every time Microsoft develop one mainy businesses will use XP for many years to come. Its the same with server operating systems too, many business use windows 2000 server and a lot use 2003 server even though server 2005 and 2008 are around many businesses just cant afford to upgrade or suffer the down time that may occurr.

Getting the certs I mentioned would be very good especially for a new to IT person.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?