Is the future bright?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Karismah, May 16, 2008.

1. Karismah

Karismah Bit Poster

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']With so many people doing certifications through braindumps, practice question memorisations, etc. and consequently decreasing the perceived value of IT certifications, not to forget flooding the IT industry with their lack of expertise and passion, what is the market like now and how do you see the IT market to be like few years from now based on your experiences? This has been a long running issue, where people have seen IT as a gateway to riches, and though I thought that those days were behind us, it seems to be getting worse. I’ve seen it with my own eyes where people with no clue about IT seeing adverts from training companies promising them fortunes, and the next thing you know, they’re training for CCNA’s and what not. One possible evidence of this may be the fact that so many training companies exist and that each of them just “seem” to be getting bigger.[/FONT]

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']I personally feel that if you’re good enough, you can be successful. You just need to convince yourself, others, and no matter what the market is like, there’d always be room for you. But just out of interest, what do you guys think? I’m sure the subject matter of this post is by no means original and you get a lot of this.[/FONT]

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+, Network+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Of course the future of IT is bright... otherwise, I wouldn't be in IT. ;)

All the braindumpers and clueless folk entering into IT just makes me seem all the more valuable to an employer. I say, "Let them come!" 8)

In truth, it doesn't matter what "everybody else is doing". If I bring value to an employer, they will hire me - and pay me - based on that value.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

That's true... IT isn't going to disappear, although it will evolve. The greater your depth of knowledge and breadth of experience, then the more valuable you are.

4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

That should certainly be true but unfortunately many employers are clueless as how to spot above average IT talent, a braindumper that survives a couple of years will look pretty similar to them.

One could argue that you are at least in part in the education industry, the fact you have diversified to be in two fields probably helps shield you from being percieved as a commoditity resource.

5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Well Said:thumbleft:rocks

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

This is something I firmly believe in and therefore attached it to my signature:-

Never lose sight of your goals -Take small steps, don't focus on the target 100% but the journey to it!
    Keep it simple and if you still feel lost then look at your original reason as to why you are taking the change.
    What do you want to do, where would you like to work, write it down, pin it on the wall, somewhere you can see it everday. This is good reminder of why your here

I think before you start on that road of learning you have to know where your going first and plan a route to that destination. It doesn't matter what the adverts or Training providers say are the best jobs or certs at the end of the day it's what you want to do and will give you the best job statisfaction.

I have seen members come and go here, some doing IT because they love it, some doing it for the money, (but don't usually last long) because they are not happy in their job or have failed their training because they are in it for the wrong reasons!8)

ignore what the hype says and do some soul searching find out what part of the IT industry you would really like to work in. There's always prospects in IT because it's a fast paced growing industry.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do and just remember to write down why you are doing it and never lose sight of your goals!8):biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  7. Fastracksteve

Fastracksteve Bit Poster

My thoughts exactly! I like your thinking :biggrin

Certifications: CCDA ACSE CCWA Mitel SX2000 & 3300
  8. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Until you work on a 'TEAM' where half the people are not functioning and pointing this out makes you not look like a team player. Your manager who hired them, says 'make it so number one' and walks out, leaving you with yet another week of overtime while you do, the 'TEAMS' work...

Hard work and intelligence don't always go rewarded, its like saying 'crime doesn't pay', why do they do it then ?

You will need a far better strategy than work very hard and hope it gets noticed, trust me I've tried it.

9. Fastracksteve

Fastracksteve Bit Poster

I understand your point dmarsh but to be honest, it doesn't take long to sort the wheat from the chaff. :biggrin

10. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Well that rather depends on whos doing the sorting doesn't it ? :D

It's like making David Beckham play sunday league, he'd be crippled on the bench in 15 minutes, how does he show his ability then ?

11. Fastracksteve

Fastracksteve Bit Poster

Yes but lets face it, you can either do the job or you can't. Just like any other job really. If you don't perform, you're out.

To use your football analogy, if you have a team and one or two players aren't performing the manager soon picks up on it and off loads them.

David Beckham has ability????? :biggrin

12. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I wish it were true, but corporations do not work like that, not even all medium or small companies. Theres period of growth followed by brightsizing or downsizing, ability is often not the decriminating factor in such cuts. They normally cut from the bottom, or last in first out, or by department.

13. Fastracksteve

Fastracksteve Bit Poster

I knew there was a reason I don't like working for large companies and you have summed it up right there.

I worked for Cable and Wireless a long time ago and hated it for that very reason. That and incompetent managers :rolleyes:

14. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

I can see your point; however, even though this is very often true, it does not mean that quality will not find its way through in the end. Those companies will eventually realise that they are either paying good money for substandard IT support from people who have BDed, or paying crap wages to the only people prepared to stomach them, untrained and inexperienced people... or they will pay in other ways, when their systems get screwed and they need to pay (other) contractors in to right the wrongs, thus spending more than they ever anticipated.

The losses from system downtime will force those businesses to realise they have to start thinking seriously about IT. Many still play at it, IMHO.

15. BosonMichael

I could, and have, survived in both. As recently as a year ago, I was a senior network admin. I'd do it again if I had to... I love working in IT. :)

Thus... the future would STILL be bright for me, even if the education stuff dried up and blew away. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  16. BosonMichael

Then you've worked for the wrong companies. Those I have chosen to continue working for don't tolerate people who aren't functioning. And pointing it out makes me look loyal to the company... not loyal to the slackers. Those teammates who get upset at me "outing" the slacker are probably more of those who need to be "removed". Then who are left? Knowledgeable, motivated people who work well together and get along well together. I've never seen a group of people like THAT fail. On the other hand, I consistently see dysfunctional teams (who allow mediocrity to persist) fail.

For the record, I worked overtime when I chose to work overtime... when it was absolutely necessary to get the job done by a certain time, and when there was a justifiable reason to get it done by then. Otherwise, I truthfully told my supervisor that it couldn't get done in that amount of time. And ya know what? My supervisors trusted me in that assessment, because I had a history of being straight with them.

Now, I'm sorry that you haven't had similar experiences... but that sort of stuff doesn't happen as often in a good company. :) I've seen both... and I chose to work for the good ones.

17. Karismah

Karismah Bit Poster

Thanks for the replies guys.

I fully agree with most comments along the lines of, if you're good, you'll be recognised and succeed.

I also agree with the other comment along the lines of it depends on who's managing and the sort of company it is.

Now, there are managers who are passionate about their job and the company as a whole, then there are those who just do the job and want to get the hell out of there come home time. These people aren't really too bothered about how well the IT is functioning, as long as it's functioning to a certain capacity, and as long as their backs are covered.

Then there are those who are passionate, and really take an interest in how the employees are doing, and who's doing well and who's not.

But no matter what type of management you have, it all comes down to how big the company is, who's interviewing you and who you're working with.

Quite a few people who, really and truly have no clue whatsoever, talk their way into getting jobs and keeping them. These guys really know how to convince people, making themselves look like experts just because they've braindumped a few certifications. This leaves the genuinely skilled guys in the shadows, till someone eventually recognises them.

I feel in this world, no matter how good you are, though you can succeed based on your efforts, ability, and perseverance, the speed at which you progress is very much hampered by the idiots surrounding you.

An ideal situation for a genuine guy would be a company and it's managers knowing exactly how to appreciate and recognise true talent and sort it from the rest. Not everyone or every company is good at this and this gives way for the scavengers just looking for the easiest ways in.

I see it all the time, people lacking that passion and ability, and I just don't know how they get away with it.

In a way, they are very shrewd and clever, and unfortunately, you can never get rid of them.

So I guess my point is that these guys are always going to be there, and sometimes they will achieve better than those who truly deserve it, but nothing can be done about it other than to just continue to do our jobs well and continue to develop ourselves, and work hard in the hope that we would shine through from the rest.

My original question was related to whether the market is getting flooded and therefore saturated and whether it's all going to be good for the newcomers. But I guess I understand that no matter where you are and what you do, belief in yourself, your ability and your will to succeed are the only things that matter because issues, obstacles and people who don't deserve as much as you but seem to be achieving more, will always exist...

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+, Network+