Is the A+ 220-601 Exam hard

Discussion in 'A+' started by script2009, Feb 14, 2010.

1. script2009

script2009 Bit Poster

Can someone please tell me if the A+ 220-601 exam is hard. i have done just one practice test on http://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/story.php?title=-Exam-220601-practice-test-1-1 . At first i failed it came back 3 days later and pass. Anyone have any Practice test site that will help me and by the way how many questions is given on the exams.

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you don't know the concepts, yes, it is hard. If you do know the concepts, then no, it's not hard.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Think about it like Diving. If you dont know what you are doing, when you hit the water it will be like hitting concrete. If you are a pro and know exactly what you are doing, it will be incredibly easy and smooth

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

free practice sites are usually braindumps but I know proprofs isn't. There are loads of practice exams on there for the A+. If you register you get access to more than just the free one that is there by Brother Bill.

I suggest purchasing compTIA A+ all in one exam guide 6th edition by Mike Meyers the CD that comes with the book also has exam questions on it.

If you are looking for quality practice exams that will help you learn then they are not free and the best in my opinion (I have tried all 3 of the top exams) is www.boson.com

BTW doing the same exam over and over doesn't help you learn because subconciously you will remember the question and answer from your earlier attempts. The boson A+ exam has three exams with the 100 questions required in exam A,B or C however you can randomize these exams so you wont remember them and you can also put them altogether and take a 300 questions exam. You also get explanations to the answers and links to resources of where you can research your wrong answers in a more thorough way, this will help you learn.

Out of the two A+ exams you have to take I found the essentials 220-601 exam the hardest. But most people it seems its the other way around.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. script2009

script2009 Bit Poster

what the diff between the 601 exam and the 701 exam are there the same

6. greenbrucelee

the 701 will probably have questions relating to vista in it.

since there is lots of study material out there you may aswell get the 601 & 602 done. The 600 series exams retire in August and if you pass you are certified for life. However if you go for the 700 series exams you have to pass them before december 31st otherwise you have to re-do them everything three years for your certification to remain valid

7. script2009

script2009 Bit Poster

i have mastered the 601-602 but i dont know were i can find pre exams sites that will help me. By the way how many questions are on both exams and what the passing marks.

8. greenbrucelee

I told you before proprofs have more if you register. Most sites that are free will be braindumps i.e actuall exam questions and if you are suspected of using braindumps by the exam administrators you can be decertified for life and could face legal action.

I gave you a link toa quality practice exam but you have to pay

you can find the info on compTIAs website but since I am a nice bloke I will tell you: the A+ essentials exam has 100 questions and you have 90 minutes to do it you must score a minimum of 675 out of 900 to pass. With the 602 there are 90 questions in 90 minutes and you need 700 out of 900 to pass

9. script2009

script2009 Bit Poster

what about if the 90 min finishes and you haven't finishes what happens

10. Fergal1982

much like any other exam (eg school), you will be marked on what you have answered.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  11. script2009

script2009 Bit Poster

so for example if they ask a question to choose 5 items and i only choose 4 correct and the other one is incorrect will they still give me the marks for the 4 correct ones

12. Rosco316

Rosco316 New Member

In as far as i can recall you don't get partial credit in certification exams if you provide an incorrect answer in any aspect of the question you flunk the whole question.

Certifications: CompTIA A+,MCDST,MCSA, MCTS:Win7, 2008
    WIP: Exchange 2010
  13. Fergal1982

You are labouring over worst case scenarios. What if I dont completely answer the question, what if i dont answer them all, what if I chew chewing gum whilst taking the test.

Make sure you know the subject matter to the extent that you feel reasonably confident, then go take the exam. If you know your onions, none of this will be an issue. You will answer the questions well within the period.

14. greenbrucelee

what he said ^

Also know one truly knows how the exams are scored because if they did then there would be fool proof ways of cheating. 675 is the pass mark for essentials which is thought to be 75% but it may not be because question 1 may be worth 20% whilst question 9 might be worth 2% but we just don't know for how its marked for sure.

make sure you know the subject matter and you will be fine.