Is PC gaming dying?

Discussion in 'Gamers Hangout' started by Cockles, May 28, 2008.

1. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Hello all

Just thought I'd see what any gamers out there thought of the question posed in the title

I first got a PC in 2001, and since then have barely touched a console, and the last one I bought was a PS1 a few years before that, but recently I've been pondering what to do. I'm quite a big gaming fan, and have saved up a bit of cash to treat myself, and wondering whether to buy a console or upgrade the PC

My current rig is just starting to get a bit out of date for games now. The last game I bought was S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and I can play that on mid-low settings. Some games (like COD 4) I don't think I can play at all without upgrade.

So, if I want to play the latest next-gen games, I'm either going to have to upgrade the old PC guts or get a console.

However, several things are starting to make me think that consoles are the way forward:

1. Cost: I can pick up a PS3 for under £300, whereas getting a decent PC upgrade will cost about double that. If I'm honest with myself, all that money will literally be spent on gaming as my current set up is more than enough for any work I need to do on my PC as well as acting as my home entertainment system. I like gaming, but do I like it that much?

2. Game releases: More and more, you see games being released 'exclusively' to consoles, then you may get a rushed PC port about 6 months later, if they are released at all. These can also be horrendously clunky and buggy (the PC Resident Evil 4 is hideous)

3: Advances in consoles: I never play games online, but now the fact that you can on consoles is a massive bonus, also as well consider they have hard drives, and also function as Blu Ray players

Looking at the market, more and more game developers are gearing their games towards the consoles as their first port of release, compared to previous years when PCs used to hold a bigger chunk of that.

Also, a relative of mine who works in the gaming industry reckons the PS3 is by far the way forward at the moment.

Anyone have any opinions on this?

Cheers

Cockles

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I see a definate tren in the shops to cater for console gamers. My local HMV has recently reduced its stock of PC games to the bottom shelf when before it was 5 shelves high.

Consoles are easier to use and you don't have to upgrade them to get games to work.

But I don't believe PC gaming is dying I believe that PC gaming is only for hardcore gamers these days. Up until I got my PC a few weeks before I joined CF I had been a console gamer since the megadrive days although I did have a pc in 1996 until I sold it because I was a poor student.:(

I would not now go back to console gaming not properly anyway, there are a couple of games that are coming out for the xbox 360 which I may have to get because they wont come out on PC and after playing the originals on the xbox I will have to get them.

One of them is Ninja Gaiden 2, Ninja gaiden 1 was a fantastic game although stupidly hard but fun.

I have cod4 on my pc and it runs well and have played it on my mates 360 it just isn't the same as the pc thats why I wont switch. It is the same with Bioshock too.

I am glad that Crysis isn't coming out on the Xbox or PS3 at least us PC gamers have one really good exclusive :D

I wont switch unless it does die but I don't think it will.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

PC gaming will be around for a little while longer but with consoles like the wii its definitely changing. Cant see how PCs can compete but for the moment games like generals and cod work better on pcs i think.:dry

WIP: C++ and A+
  4. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Some good points there GBL

I'll never get rid of my PC totally, I'll still use it for gaming I imagine (I seem to be playing more and more abadonware on it recently though rather than new releases) but I just don't think I can justify spending 500 jib + on what essentially is going to be a gaming machine. I was all set to upgrade a few months ago but when I sat down and thought about it, I changed my mind a bit.

I also found recently that some games on PC released from consoles were pretty buggy too. Sure it works both ways though

5. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

Cockles.

I think your right, the fact that you can buy a console for fairly cheap, the features a console has to offer gaming wise are really all there...

For me, PC gaming i enjoyed and played alot... after trying out the xbox 360 online I enjoyed it more because everyone has the same chance, no-one will have a smoother running system or much better graphics, everyone is in the same boat almost... thats why I now prefere 360 over my PC...

Like you mentioned too... it can same money.

J

Certifications: A+, N+
  6. greenbrucelee

You have to patch console games these days too.

I would rather have a £1500 gaming beast than a console that will be around for 4 years before I have to get rid and get a new one because games aren't made for it any more.

7. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

That's what's really making me thing of switching. I played some 360 recently and was hooked on a PS2 my housemate had, thought they were excellent and at a lot less cost.

8. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

In a way that is true, I last upgraded my PC in 2003 for a top-mid range system then, and it is still usable now. Thing is, even if you get a top bollox beast of a PC, there will be components out in next to no time that better it. Say you buy a console for 300 jib and it's 4 years before its obsolete, generally the next step up is roughly the same price (in comparison to previous prices at the time), so you pay another 300 jib, that lasts another 4 years, by that time consoles can have your tea ready in the morning when you wake up and can babysit the kids etc etc.

Balls to it, might not eat for a month and do both!

9. greenbrucelee

A friend of mine got pissed of with pc gaming because of having to upgrade all the time but he wont game on a console due to what he says are shoddy attempt at games that should only be on PC.

What annoys me about console games is that they cost more than pc games and usually have less content in them.

£30 for cod 4 on PC or £50 on xbox360 for a single player game that takes about 8 hours. I know where I would put my money :D

10. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

Sounds a plan! Xbox 360 online has a grat community too.. Just go with what you CAN afford, then save up for the more expensive option after?

Certifications: A+, N+
  11. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Hello Cockles,

this was what I was thinking about 8 months ago when i wanted to play COD4 but my old AMD anthlon chip was too slow!:(

I think with PC gaming you've always got that problem with the game compatilbilty, not only with the spec of the machine, but things like OS version, sound drivers, Graphic cards or drivers.

I remember playing Doom 3 when it first came out and even though my PC was at the time high spec I had loads of problems with the sound card and the anti -alising graphics in the end i had to wait for a patch to be released before I could play the game on normal or high settings!

I think with consoles, you don't get thoses issues also like you said some games like Crash Bandicoot or Medievil are only for certain consoles. I played Halo on the PC but didn't think it was as good as the xbox version.:(

:hhhmmm it's always something in the back of my mind when upgrading PC's how long will it be before I will have to upgrade the hardware again just to play the latest PC games??:blink:(

Then again there are some good PC games out there like UT2004 or quake or Medal of honour/call of duty Half life that are better playing on a PC online or LAN than through a console!:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  12. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

I have notice that in my local HMV as well less PC games and less choice for CD singles. Only the new ones available:rolleyes: Then again with most music websites offering MP3 download at a small price and the daily Mail paper offering free new Artist Albums on CD. Maybe the shops have decided it's a waste of money??:blink

13. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Would this really depend on the main genre of games you are interested in?

FPS games that have been mentioned would (IMO) yield better gameplay on a console, as would racing games and that *kind* of thing.

If you are into your management sims or point and click games, they would be better off played on a PC. I used to have an XBOX 360, mainly to play racing games and Red Faction. I made the mistake of buying Champo for it, and it was one of the most awful platform transitions I have ever experienced. Consoles just don't work for that style of game.

I don't think PC gaming will ever die, due to the playability of certain genres. But that kind of falls into the category of 'hardcore gamers' as it were - whilst racing games are racing games, and a lot of FPS have limited gameplay, there are open-ended RPGs and point-and-clickers that can suck years of your life before you notice.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  14. greenbrucelee

yep thats probably the reason, plus with the games they will sell more console games so the space is needed.

15. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

I'm only really a console gamer now as are most of my friends, thats probably why I don't use my PC for anything other than Chessmaster.

I can't speak for now but there's surely still games that only really work on the PC? any game that involves a mouse on the PC used to convert hideously on a console. I can remember the original Unreal Tournament was awful on the PS2.

Have games got that close in terms of graphics and gameplay?

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  16. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Red Faction - is this the same game that came out on PC?? Where your a miner, stuck on Mars and trying to get back home or is it another racing game on the console??

Just curious because red faction 1 on the PC was the dog's boll@cks!:biggrin while red faction 2 was pants!8)

17. greenbrucelee

Yes they have, but your right in saying there are some games that should only stay on PC like Unreal tournament and Crysis is another.

18. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Yeah it was awesome on the PC - it was the first game I ever completed without cheating :oops:

Red Faction 2 was okay, but it wasn't a stroke on the gameplay of the original.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  19. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

I agree with you pc has the upper hand with games that use the mouse.

but im addicted to mario cart on the wii at the moment when i can prize it out of my sons hands dont like the split screen for two player thou to cramped

WIP: C++ and A+
  20. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Gaming will always rain supreme on the PC
    until the interface system for consoles is far more mature and capable

on a PC I can play a compex MMORPG, a fast action FPS, racing games, flight sims, and still watch a movie on the other screen

consoles interface severly hampers them for anything but arcade type games, games that are easy to pick up, full of action, good bang for buck as I like to say

the PC will ALWAYS allow more complexity though, which gives it far more breathing room

We think of the wii interface as unique, its not, it was just the first console to do it, new interfaces gain popularity slowly

me and a mate once set up TA on a school interactive whiteboard, I tell you playing an RTS on a 12 foot screen with a pen to control units is ****ing awesome, you feel like a little general of sorts
    Multi touch, Surface, MEMS all serve to enhance this experience, and whilst a console would need a new generation to do any of it, a PC just takes it in it's stride

Casual gamers the console rains supreme, but a PC will always hold a place for those who love games and gameplay, consoles are gaining ground because causal gaming is becoming more popular, its not hampering the sales of high end PC parts to hardcore gamers, they are just going to one day be out numbered by casual gamers, doesn't mean the PC will ever die as a gaming platform

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0