Is Net+ NOT multiple choice anymore?

Discussion in 'Network+' started by powder21, Nov 22, 2012.

1. powder21

powder21 Bit Poster

I went to take my test today and the questions weren't questions at all, but instead "simulations". The first two were easy to understand what the exam was asking, but the next one...not so much. The test started throwing errors on the third question though, and I now have to call with an incident report to reschedule, so I may be jumping to conclusions, but I'm worried that they have changed the format of the test (in comparison to the format of the A+ exams I took in September) in which case, I'm not prepared like I thought I was.

Please somebody, quell my fears!

2. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

They have included simulation questions. SimonV reported it a while back. http://www.certforums.com/forums/news/47942-comptia-exams-include-performance-based-questions.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
    Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  3. powder21

powder21 Bit Poster

OK, thanks for the info. As long as they haven't switched the test entirely to this "performance-based" format, I'm fine with it. Trust me, if you saw what I saw today, "simulated IT environment" would be the last few words on your mind :sick

4. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

Hi. Will be taking the new A+ 80x series soon. Shortly followed by the Net+. Will post (non-NDA breaking) impressions here. As a trainer, I have to retake all my certs pretty much every single time they update... which seems to be always.

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  5. powder21

powder21 Bit Poster

Thanks Zig! Would love to hear your thoughts on it. I just got my exam rescheduled for tomorrow so I will post back as well. Hopefully all goes well :)

6. powder21

powder21 Bit Poster

So I passed the exam today, yay! I still have the exact same impressions of the interactive questions. Some are just fluff and fancy colors, which are easy because they're basically multiple choice with the some extra mouse clicks. The others are simulations. Luckily, there were only a few in the beginning, so I can confirm that the test is mostly still multiple choice. However, it is the simulations that drive me crazy. I only got one simulation this time, but it was even worse than the one I saw when the test wasn't even functioning (go figure). It was just laid out in a completely awkward manner and the available options you could "perform" made no sense. I really hope CompTIA looks for feedback on this new "performance based" format, and tries to clean it up and hire more knowledgeable people to create the questions before they decide to adopt it entirely for future exams.

Hope this post is helpful in clearing up my original post :)