Is MTA 98-366 Network Fundamentals still worth studying?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by 3ter, Sep 9, 2017.

1. 3ter

3ter New Member

Hi there,
    I am new to the field. I was told to do this exam to get a good basic understanding of networking.
    Quite a lot of concepts are really outdated and in the Microsoft forums BornToLearn I find myself unable to post so I think this MTA is rather dead.

Is there a newer Network Fundamentals course by Microsoft?
    Or do you still suggest to start with this MTA?

Regards,
    3ter

2. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Yes its worth doing if you are unfamiliar with networking, it introduces you to the basic concepts which are indeed still used today such as TCP/IP, LANS the OSI Model etc etc. The little I know about networking, I learned from the exam content of this cert (didnt actually sit the exam but thinking of doing so) There isn't a newer MS Networking fundamentals cert currently so you may want to divert to the Comptia N+.

3ter likes this.
  3. 3ter

3ter New Member

Thanks a ton for your answer @Juelz !
    I am going to sit the exam! And afterwards I am going to think about the Comptia certs which seem appealing.

You just fostered my industry to put energy into my preparation!

Cheers,
    3ter

4. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

No problem, I am currently thinking of taking this exam now its ore relevant to my new job role. Currently using PluralSight then plan to watch through the ITPROTV videos and top it off with the official MS book, hoping to get this and the server MTA done by end of this year.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  5. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

The network+ is a lot broader than this, and Cisco is the industry standard for networking certs. I think either of these would be a better option for both your knowledge and your CV than this exam. The MCSA is actually now listed as an entry level certification on the Microsoft website, so I don't know what that makes MTA. It was also published in 2010. I wouldn't be surprised if it was retired soon.

6. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Depends on your reasons for taking it, if you know nothing about networking this is a great cert. I dont personally take certs to enhance my CV.

7. Pseudonym

Yeah, but if you can do both at the same time then why wouldn't you? This looks comparable to the CCENT. If you get your CCENT you're half way to CCNA.

8. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I was looking at the CCENT just yesterday, quite confussed.. is it two exams or one? On the website it lists it as ICDN part 1 but doesnt show what part 2 is.. and from my understanding its more comparable to the N+.

9. Pseudonym

ICND2 is the CCNA. I was looking at the exam objectives yesterday actually. Comparing the MTA and the CCENT, to me, they look similar in scope and difficulty.

10. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Oh I thought the CCNA was 4 exams :s had a friend who did it who told me it was 4, I will look into the CCENT might be worth alook