Is it worth taking microsoft exams (MCDST exam)

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by lynamcool, Sep 21, 2009.

1. lynamcool

lynamcool Bit Poster

hi

i will try to cut a long story short

just been to the jobcentre to look at jobs in IT and i was speaking to an adviser regarding IT jobs and they seem to think anyone looking for a start in computer jobs (As i have never had a job before and i would like to start in IT, and only studied for a BTEC National diploma at college for 2 years) will have needed to go to university.....so is it worth taking the mcdst exams to go alongside my BTEC if you have not been to university as this has me thinking its not worth it now to do the MCDST if it means nothing as i thought before it would give me the chance to break into the it industry

what do you advise?

WIP: MCDST
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

The first certs to go for are compTIA A+, compTIA N+ and then the MCDST and you can these by self study and not with some company that will charge you loads of money.;

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. lynamcool

lynamcool Bit Poster

hi

thanks for the reply

im under the impression now to get a job in computers you will need an university qualification before microsoft exams or others are considers

do i really need a university qualification? the self taught exams should be better than university i would think for a helpdesk job :blink

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

you don't need to go to university to get into IT at all. I went to uni and its taking me years and I am just breaking the surface now.

If I could go back in time I would have done my certs got a job and done uni part time whilst working.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

No need to go to university to work in IT. Study for the A+, N+ and MCDST and go from there. Some companies will employ you without certifications as long as you have a willingness to learn- so start applying for jobs now :)

6. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

The jobcentre are talking out of their a$$es, anyone who is hiring staff would prefer experience over certs and university, as someone once told me, university is commonly viewed as two-three years getting drunk and while im not on the same wavelength there I do look at the whole package, me personally if I were starting out in IT I would be looking at gaining some experience voluntarily and spamming every company I could with a cover letter and CV to get a trainee role, and would be working on getting some basic certifications such as an MCP, or MCDST, A+ Network+ etc to show competance.

This is a quicker way to get your foot in the door, as another common complaint regarding uni in the IT sector is that the technology taught is usually behind the times.

Save Time and Money and get spamming local companies.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
    Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Does this "someone" have a degree? :rolleyes:

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

That's probably true for an art or media degree but a lot of computer science degrees are hard and will probably take away all your free time if you want to get a good grade.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  9. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I would disagree, that is a big generalisation, plus it depends on the job.

However for entry level jobs, yes certs are more desirable.

-Ken

BTW, no need to post the same thread in multiple parts of the forum :)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  10. lynamcool

lynamcool Bit Poster

he he sorry Ken :) just after i was told that in the job center i was feeling a bit in limbo
    needed some good info :biggrin

anyone else have some advice

11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Same advice as you were given above. College degrees are more helpful later in your career; they're not necessary for entry-level tech work.

If you do decide to pursue a degree, get an entry-level tech job NOW and keep working while you're in school. It can be done; I'm living proof - I worked full time while going to school full time.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!