Is it worth it??

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by zxspectrum, Jun 2, 2011.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

I graduate from uni this month and i was wondering if it was worth me getting the ECDL. Ive seen companies asking for this but im not sure if id be adding any value to my qualifications??

Any ideas??

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Go for it :)

It's a user qualification, but lets face it for something like that it's better to have it and not need it then needing it and not having it :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what he said ^

If I remember correctly there are 3 version of ECDL there's the basic one which measures that you can use word and access etc then there's one that measures that you can do a few more advanced things with them then there's a last one which basically proves you as a super user meaning that you can do things like customise toolbars and stuff.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. zxspectrum

Well to be honest i think ill go for it, even though it costs £100, this however includes registration to the BCS, which im sure will look good on the CV, plus i was looking to register with BCS, which on its own costs £60

This is what the course will cover

ECDL | ECDL | Schools and Adult Education | Qualifications, Training, Careers | BCS - The Chartered Institute for IT

Plus theres a job going that is more admin than IT but its a foot in the door so to speak, and i know there will be career opportunities there to progress to where i want to be, the job is only fixed term, although im suspecting that it could be extended if i perform well??

Ed

5. Gogs

Gogs Bit Poster

If I recall correctly from my days in the NHS (about 5/6 years ago) they wanted everyone to be ECDL qualified so it's definitely something that employers are looking. I believe a lot of companies equate it to RSA (?Level 3?) so would be good for that admin role you are looking at (feet in the door always helps).

For an prospective employer it shows two things 1) you have something to prove you know how to use MS Office, other than them having to take your word for it; and 2) it shows you are willing to develop your skill set.

Greenbrucelee is correct that there are different levels but most employers will just quote ECDL rather than a particular level. As a word of warning if you decide to do the Excel advanced level it's beneficial to understand the concept behind some of the formula(e). I had one to do with working out APR etc.

Certifications: in Signature
    WIP: MCITP: Server Administrator (646) , Security+
  6. zxspectrum

Applied for it today, got material to read over trhe weekend, three of the modules i should pass now, as they are more technical, the rest are database excel, extra stuff with word and extra stuff with power point. I know the last 2 but used them mereley for uni purposes. Bonus thing is, i will be a memeber of the BCS, which also will look good on my CV. Think next i need to work out a certification plan/career plan, something new to me.

Ed

7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Cool :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Having a cert like that will tick a box with most employment agencies, always a plus. Ticking enough boxes is what gets you interviews.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
    Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job