is it worth it?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Cookies81, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Cookies81

Cookies81 Bit Poster

greetings

do you need to have the A+ before going for the MCDST cert?

if not will if be possibile to complete before its cancelled?

Certifications: None
    WIP: Comptia A+ and Network+
  2. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Nope you don't need the A+ before taking the MCDST, they're both seperate.

If you want to do the MCDST, you'll need to take both exams before it's retired at the end of June

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  3. Cookies81

Cookies81 Bit Poster

thats good as i would like to get the cert before it goes, but assumed i would need to A+ first

on average how long will it take to self study for both exams? i saw on Craigie's thread that it can be done in a month, which i may find hard to do with working full time.

I am ordering the Sybex deluxe edition book to start with

4. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Everybody is different - it depends on your current knowledge and experience on how well you can take the information in.

Yeah - you could do it in a month for each, however if you're fairly new to it, i wouldn't recommend it - i'd say take your time and only do the exams when you actually feel ready to do so.

There isn't really a set time that is specified, each to their own, some may have a really disciplined study program, where as others may be more lax - the problem with rushing too much of it in a short time for yourself is that you'll forget some of the stuff you've learnt

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  5. Cookies81

Cookies81 Bit Poster

im a relatively quick learner when i have a hands on approach as well as reading through books.

any tips on what i will need (equipment wise) to help with the studying

6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

how much experience do you have in supporting XP?

IMO anyone who has supported the day to day operation of Xp for more that two years should know enought to pass these exams with the minimal amount of study time.

8)

7. Cookies81

Cookies81 Bit Poster

i've had 9 months experience on a helpdesk in my previous job for the government.

the job role was online support but i don't think it was in-depth, telling people how to delete cookies and internet files, aswell as advising some how to rectify a problem when they could not view forms online.

would you class this as much experience?

ALSO had to advise how to install specific HMRC software to the system including patches and updates and get them to run diognostics to locate the problem

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011