Is it possible to do this in one year??

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Frontier, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Frontier

Frontier Byte Poster

I have been considering IT training with the firm for some time, but now im not so sure. This is the course im interested in

http://www.itlearneasy.com/html/database-developer-programming-developer2.html#L1

No ive been interested in computers from an early age. Ive stripped them down, learnt how to code a little, created the odd site. You know how it is. My current job is kind of a technical role. Im whats known as a data analyst/processer. It involves some use of programming (although it is mostly editing skel code already set up for jobs) and there is alot of working with data and the companies bespoke database system. I was looking at programming courses because I want to extend my knowledge of programming further and would like to go into a programming role. The above course seems perfect and I thought had everything I needed. From what I had found out about the course it sounded excellent. Until they told me that unless I enrol by feb, the 2 years support would be removed and the only option would be to enrol on the course with 1 yr support as they are changing it. I wouldnt mind it just looks alot to get through in 1 yr dont you agree? They say you can still carry on with the course after the year is up but the support isnt there. What do you think to this?? I dont know what to do now.

2. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

if you can get through that lot.. good luck to you.. and the hard sell... smells to me...

plus, it looks like online training to me.. so you're paying a lot for very little

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  3. Frontier

Frontier Byte Poster

yeh i know. I feel pushed into it now they are saying I have until feb or they are removing the 2 yr support.

4. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Have a look at the Open University Course (yes I am a student) much cheaper and can give you a University qualifications.

5. Frontier

Frontier Byte Poster

Hi Sandy if you could give me a link to that it would be greatly appreciated. Is this a programming / software development course you are talking about here?

6. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

They want your money, it's a common sales tactic to try and 'create urgency' - there's a big web out there, shop around until you're happy to make a commitment.

If anyone tells you that if you don't 'buy it now' you'll miss out- turn the other way.

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  7. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Bit Poster

Smells bad to me if im honest, if it sounds dodgy it probally is.

Its like these dodgy salesman that push you into signing because "these are only priced to you for today, if you dont sign now the offer will go up!"

Argh shame that eh? still at least his aftershave smelt nice anyway?

Shame about the pin stripes though!!! Now thats a bobby dazzler!! :)

Certifications: CompTIA A+, OCR Level 2
    WIP: Network+, 70-270
  8. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

9. topdogjohnniebanana

topdogjohnniebanana New Member

Hi there

I've had some experience of ITlearneasy as I enrolled with them a month or so ago.

So far so good, as they say!

I am already in IT and researched quite a bit before doing this course. Although my company did pay for it so the risk wasn't as much as it wasn't my money!

My experience of other companies wasn't good. They wouldn't give any info on courses or prices unless they could see me or I went to them. So I wasted hours sitting in front of salesmen who knew very little about IT and couldn't answer any of my questions.

The good thing about ITlearneasy was that they have IT guys on the 'phones who genuinely know their stuff. When I first contacted them I pretended I was a newbie but they gave some good information and help which made sense. They also didn't want to see me and gave me all the info over the 'phone. They also didn't 'phone me unless I requested it - which was different to my previous experience!

I guess the course does what it says on the tin! There is a great deal of information to cover but it is much easier using their material than working through huge techie book.

The course is excellent and the support has been really good too. It's a live chat room where you go into and I always deal with a qualified tutor who always answers immediately and always sorts out any problems I've had.

The courses have already changed from a choice of 2 years or 1 year to only 1 year support so your info regarding next February is a bit out there.

Apparently it's because people were getting through their courses quicker so the 2nd year support was unneccessary. The prices have dropped, so it's not as if you are still paying the same.

I'm pleasantly surprised how quick I'm getting through it. Definately quicker than churning through the Microsoft books!

I've also recommended a couple of friends who were trying to break into IT and they have been given good advice and were treated the same, so it looks like they're pretty consistent.

Don't know if that helps. Hope it does. I'll get of my soapbox now and get back to studying!

10. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

THAT RIGHT THERE is the sign you need to tell them bye bye.

Trust me. I had a smooth talking salesman talk me into a situation much like that......now I'm stuck paying back a nice little loan. Had I had someone to kick me in the arse back then, I would have taken the self study route and saved $10k (US funds).

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  11. Frontier

Frontier Byte Poster

I received this email from one of the personal course advisors at ITLEARNEASY today. To say I thought I had done my homework and found the right organisation, I am now left with an element of doubt. This is the email I received:

"
    Hi Anthony

Happy New Year to you!

Thanks for visiting our website and for requesting our course fees once again.

I just wanted to let you know that since we were last in contact in November, most of the 2 year course have been taken up.

We only have 3 x 2 year courses available - if you still want to use that option.

Once these have gone, then we will not be supporting courses over 2 years at all and all courses will have 1 year support only.

Regards
    John
    "

There is no way I can get through all that in 12 months with NO EXERIENCE! what do you think to this? I am now considering other options as I dont know what to do! I am not throwing away 2 and a half grand on a course I wont be able to finish!

12. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

with all the training options out there, why feel under pressure to accept one offer from one company ? Personally, I'd opt to pay for each course one by one if I chose to do them in a classroom situation - you're in control then

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  13. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Shop around then mate, there are plenty of training providers and there is also the self study option. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  14. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

In other words: "My sales figures are down because I spent xmas & new year drunk and need to get my commission back on track"

Sales people are the scum of the Earth in most industries - IT is no exception.

If you don't feel you can do everything in a year, then don't sign up for it!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  15. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I was given the task of finding a car for someone over the Christmas period and some of the quotes made be Sales people made me giggle - I haven't heard them for a while! :biggrin

Regards

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  16. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

I am somewhat dissapointed in you Frontier:dry

You have been talking about signing up for a provider since October and you still have not done anything!

Yes, some of the reply's here are correct and good advice, however there is always two side of the story. It doesn't matter which learning provider you sign up for out there!! If not going to put the work in Frontier then you not going to get anywhere.

I had no problems with ITlearneasy, they were up front with when I did my ECDL and the sales team always answered the phone.

There are loads of learning providers out there, and I am sure the members here at CF can point you in the right direction. I have already sent you the alterantive 3 months ago!

What have you being doing in this time???:blink

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  17. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What do you plan on getting out of the course? Certifications? Keep in mind that a person without experience who has taken courses and passed certification exams... is still a person without experience, and will be treated as such in the IT field. I'd hire someone with certifications + education + no experience over someone with nothing at all... but I'd hire someone with experience over someone with certifications + education + no experience.

Save your money, mate. Get an entry-level IT job so you can start building experience and start learning by using self-study methods... not by spending two-and-a-half-K to have someone hold your hand.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!