is it ok to mix RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by michael78, Apr 5, 2011.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Want to upgrade my servers RAM from 4GB to 8GB. Problem is I can't find the exact RAM I used so is it ok to put another 4GB RAM in the server as long as it's the same type/speed and voltage?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Where's GBL when you need him.....:p

I'm pretty sure manufacturer doesn't matter, as long as its the same speed and voltage. 99% Sure....

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

yea im sure its fine as long as its same speed

Certifications: GNVQ Advanced IT, CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, 70-680
    WIP: 70-685, ITIL v3 Foundation
  4. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

I have a mix and match setup in my servers, 2 x 4gb RAM and 2 x 1Gb RAM each, Seems fine so far

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  5. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

You want to keep a single channel the same across all chips ideally, but between channels I dont think there is an issue.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  6. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

cheers guys off to buy some RAM :biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  7. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Yah, like the other said, as long as it's a supported module for your mobo, it should be fine. Now, the ram may default to that which is the "weakest link" inside your machine, i.e. if you had ram which was CAS 2, and the new ram you bought is CAS 3, the system may overall run just a tad slower as the new ram is not as fast as the old stuff... But even that depends on when that ram gets to be used.

If you bought a system a year or two ago, and you get new ram for it now, chances are the new ram is overall 'better' than the old stuff.

Thankfully some manufacturers do place a list on their site with the mobo's supported by their ram. So if your mobo is on the list, you should be pretty safe to get the ram module of that particular manufacturer.

I haven't often come across machines where mixed modules caused problems... laptops might actually be more prone to issues according to some echos I've heard.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM