Is it me or is this outrageous?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by tripwire45, Feb 22, 2007.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I came across this and was just floored. This would never fly in the U.S., mainly because of the prohibition against the government forming a "state religion". It's so hard to believe that a small percentage of a country's population could successfully demand major changes in their schools.

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/web..._of_Britain_Steps_Up_Islamization_Effort&only

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Well here in the U.K this sort of thing isn't exactly new. And whenever it happens, all it does is create unnecesary tension and controversy.

Personally, I feel that we are a secular society and that's the way we should remain. Religious beliefs should be matter of personal perogative and nothing more.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

A state religion is fine for the US... as long as it's not Christianity. :rolleyes: How about the Church of Materialism? heh!!! 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

The backlash of anything like that being implmented would be phenomenal. I think the UK is on the brink of quite a large scale political rebellion, and issues like this would tip it over the edge. I think it's all blown out of proportion anyway. I do remember years and years ago there was a notion put through to change the colours of the Union Jack to the same as those on the Jamaican flag. I don't think it got very far.....

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Lets be fair Trip

there is more than a few american institutions that like to get around the mixing state and religion debate whatever way possible, i've seen a few that are more than a bit blatant about it too!

I have to be honest, this article is not likely to be a reflection of anything that might actually happen thank **** :)

I agree with the above though, britain is heading the wrong way down a slope, already 10% of british citizens live abroad and that number is growing, theres a clear cut reason for that!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Got to agree with you there Ryan, my parents retired to France a couple of years ago and, having visited many times now, given half the chance I would move there like a shot.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I don't disagree with that, Ryan...but this goes way beyond "prayer in the schools". I can't imagine a religious group of any kind in the U.S. having the b@11z to demand that their religious books should be studied and their religious holidays be observed to such a degree (Ok, every high school and college in the west has a Mormon seminary across the street for Mormon kids to attend *before* regular classes, but the rest of the student body remains unaffected).

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

At the end of the day it's not gonna happen because parents simply wouldn't stand for it.

Like it or not, we're a secular society with a secular majority and that isn't gonna change for several centuries, if ever. Anything else is just hot air.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  9. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Yes it's a sad fact that these type of things pop up now and again. Usually some over zealous anal rententive with an ounce of power decides to go overboard with the Political correctness or what not!

I'm sure this doesn't reflect the interests of the Muslim majority, and would hope that those who have the political power to see something like this through would realise it does nothing for the social well being of all races and religions living in the UK, or anywhere else for that matter.

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270