is IT for me.

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by the_beast, Oct 2, 2007.

1. the_beast

the_beast Bit Poster

i have a degree in economics but i dont want to go into finance. ive always been interested in IT , but will i be good at it? what is the best way to find out?

thank you

2. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

I'm afraid I can not answer that as all I know about you is two lines. To see whether you would like IT you could try some volunteering work.

Certifications: A few.
  3. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

If your passionate about working in IT, and your hardworking, you will excel in IT.

Best way to find out if your passionate and hardworking is to try and study for the A+ for example, and see if you enjoy doing it!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Rob's response is accurate: there's no way for us to guarantee that you, specifically, will do well in IT.

That said, if you truly enjoy working with computers... tearing them apart and putting them back together... then you'd likely enjoy IT. And people who enjoy IT tend to do well.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

You could alway try to get into IT in the finance industry. Up our way there are 2 finance software houses that are always looking for IT techs that have finance knowledge to support their products that they develop.

It's an option :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Are you a good fit for IT?

1. Do you think work is a 40 hour a week job, and dislike working overtime, weekends, all night on a minute or two of notice, etc... ?
    2. Do you love dealing with technology just because it's cool technology?
    3. Do you love to study and learn?
    4. Do you want a job that is going to require you to learn for the rest of your life?
    5. Are you willing to eat dirt for as long as it takes you get established, because breaking into IT is NOT easy? You don't make good money until you get established.
    6. Just how technically inclined are you? I've been fascinated with technology of one sort or another most of my life.
    7. What will your wife/girl friend say to your working all the time and not having time for her? Is she understanding?

That's a very small part of what I think will help you to decide if you might be a good fit for IT. If any of your answers to questions 2 through 5 are no, IT probably isn't for you. If you answer yes to question 1, IT is definitely not for you.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Like the others have said if you enjoy learning about tech stuff and fiddling with computers, dont mind workin OT a lot then yes IT is for you.

But if youre just looking to make a lot of money then your in a for a shock.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Yes :D :D

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

8. Do you enjoy everything that goes wrong, ever, being your fault? (Including the photocopier, kettle, franking machine etc).

9. Do you work at your best when everyone else in the building is staring at you, tapping their feet and looking at their watches whilst muttering under their breath?

10. Do you agree that although the finance deparment can go for lunch down the pub for an hour, all at the same time, without any kind of danger - the ten minutes that they can't use the printer in the afternoon could have a critical impact on the future of the company. And it's your fault - see 8.

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  10. the_beast

the_beast Bit Poster

im not scared of hardwork and i enjoy technology. i can build a pc. but im not too sure if i will be good at IT. i want a job where i will excel. how would you find out if you are good at programming. i was told that if you are good at maths you are a good at programming.

11. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Rather than maths (which helps) you need a *very* logical and somewhat pedantic mind. :biggrin

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  12. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

As Harry said a programmer does not really need to be a maths genius but has to be very methodical and logical.

Probably a bit like Mr Spock only you don't need the ears :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

...but it helps:

[​IMG]

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!