Is GNS against copyright?

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by Big_nath, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Hi,

I want to try and learn some cisco (not for exams, just so i have a basic knowledge). I was looking around and have came across GNS3. Is it against copy right?

If not, is it good?

If it is, is there a legal alternative?

I would just buy a router but money is tight right now.

Thanks

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Using the Cisco IOS outside of Cisco hardware is illegal, therefore GNS is illegal. There is a simulator available from Cisco (PacketTracer) but you have to be registered to use it - I believe that enrolling on a Cisco academy course enables you to do this.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for the info.

Can anyone recommend a cheap router to get me started?

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

You'll need more than one! You're not going to be able to learn much without being able to route anywhere :biggrin

The 2600 series are very good routers, and nowhere near as expensive as they used to be - you might want to start there. Of course, you need to make sure you have the right WICs in them, and you'll need a special cable to connect the two WAN interfaces back to back. Check ebay out - there are a number of sellers there who sell second hand CCNA kits - I know you said you're not that interested in certification, but the CCNA kits will give you the hardware you need to understand things at a fundamental level

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

1721 as well is a cheap alternative - just make sure it comes with a power pack! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics