Is entry level actually that nowadays???

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Timostag, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Timostag

Timostag Bit Poster

Ive been applying for just about every "entry level" support/helpdesk role from Edinburgh to Southampton for months, but I haven't had a thing no phone calls, interviews anything!

I keep telling myself to stick at it and eventually something will turn up, just play the numbers game.

Do you think its a case of my CV /skills aren't good enough or is it the fact that people with years of experience are going for the "entry level" jobs that I am because of the state of the job market at the moment.

Below is a copy of the CV I have been sending out ( I am also studying the MCDST cert in my spare time but havent added that anywhere until I pass it).

Please tell me what you think

CURRICULUM VITAE
    Timothy Marron
    Mobile: 07xxxxxxxxxxx
    Email: Timostagsxxxxxxxxxx
    Nationality: British

Key Skills

• Eagerness to learn and gain new skills.
    • Commended on telephone manner
    • Systematic problem solver, with a passion for IT
    • Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills
    • Proven customer service skills

Professional Experience

Sugar Suite Ltd
    May2008 – Present
    Supervisor
    My duties and responsibilities include;
    • Setting up and opening the bar ensuring we are prepared for the day ahead
    • Answer customer enquiries over the phone and e-mail, keeping clients informed
    • Ensure customers entering the bar area, receive a friendly welcome from the team
    • I am called upon as first point of call whenever IT problems occur
    • I have shown flexibility of my hours to cover absences

Bank Fashion
    August 2007 – May 2008
    Supervisor
    My duties and responsibilities included;
    • Resolving customer complaints in the absence of the store manager
    • Informing the area manager of store information such as store sales figures via email and over the phone
    • Training members of staff on quality customer service, till operations and complaints procedure
    • Ensuring every customer received great customer service and left satisfied
    • When IT problems occurred I would formulate a detailed report to send to the IT department

January 2006 –August 2007
    Bank Fashion
    Sales assistant
    • Optimize sales through my experience in customer service.
    • Answering the phone and resolving customer queries
    • Work as part of a large team

Next Group PLC
    November 2005 - January 2006 (Temporary Position)
    Customer service assistant
    • Optimizing sales through my experience in customer service.
    • Answering the phone and resolving customer queries
    • Work as part of a large team
    • Ordering items for customers from other stores or a warehouse

Nottingham Squash Rackets Club
    July 2004 -August 2005
    Supervisor
    • Organising staff rota and supervising the team
    • Reporting figures and achieving targets set by the bar and catering manager
    • Setting up the bar and closing down at the end of the night including cashing up the till
    • Ordering and replenishing stock

September 2003 - July 2004
    Customer Service Officer
    • Processing new members
    • Responding to emails from members and people interested in joining
    • Writing and emailing the quarterly newsletter
    • Providing members with excellent customer service

References available on request.

Education

Birmingham City University
    BSc (Hons) Computer Technology Foundation Sept 2009 – May 2010

Arnold Hill School, September 1999 - June 2004

GCSE’s:
    Mathematics - B
    English - C
    Science (double award), C - C
    Business Studies (double award) C - C

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
    Certifications: A+,MTA:Networking, MTA: Server Fundamentals MTA:Operating Systems MTA:Security Fundamentals ITIL Foundation
  2. tenrou

tenrou New Member

What I'm wondering from your CV is what areas of IT you actually know anything about. Just saying IT doesn't tell an employer if you'd be good at a job in Web Development, Linux support, Windows or Networking.

i.e. you say studying for MCDST. That should be on there because I at least know then that your looking at going into desktop and server support and can evaluate you against a job spec for that. Even if you don't have experience say what areas you have gained knowledge in from your degree.

Certifications: CCNA, Commvault, MCSE, MCITP:EA EMA DBA
    WIP: SCVMM, VCP, EMA 2010
  3. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Sound advice. But why don't you introduce yourself in the New members forum?

Welcome to CF! :D

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  4. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I'm willing to bet it is your terrible CV. You haven't highlighted any IT work what so ever, and it seems you have been job hopping.

That's a pretty short and sweet summary of it too be honest. If you have applied for hundreds of jobs, maybe you should of taken a step back earlier and gone over the CV.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  5. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I agree, the CV needs work. I'm not personally a fan of using personal pronouns in the cv anywhere except in the "profile" section. Even then I tend to avoid it where possible. Another pet hate, but "answering phones" is awful IMO. I understand what you are getting at, but try and find a better way to say the same thing.

Also, theres zero consistency in how you are presenting the company, period, and jobtitle in your roles. Pick a layout and stick to it. Also make it as easy as possible for them to track.

The responsibilities dont read very well either. They just read as very.... basic for want of a better phrase. Think of how the employer advertised the job, chances are that the responsibilities were jazzed up to sound exciting and interesting. There's nothing wrong with starting your responsibilities list with the exact listing that they used in the advert. After all, it is your job description. You can then go on to expand on a few points, or add a few additional responsibilities not mentioned.

You also want to expand further on IT responsibilities. In a competitive market, any IT experience you can demonstrate is an advantage. In your current job you are
    Thats nice, but what exactly does that mean? did they call you when the keyboard stopped working? what were you expected to do to resolve it? call the pros, or investigate and fix it yourself? You say you are studying MCDST? get it in the CV. You effectively have no substantial IT experience, so you need to draw attention and expand on anything you can regarding IT.

When I wanted to move into programming, I took the few little parts of programming I had managed to obtain in my job, and I expanded the hell out of it, detailing what I had done. It left that one job description larger by almost double over the others, but since it was experience relevant to the industry I didnt see it as a problem. It showed them the proven commercial experience I had already obtained.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I agree with whats been said.

Now I have just drawn up a little draft of my cv whilst mine isn't great I bet it would stand more of a chance of not been thrown into the bin as yours would.

Take a look and see

Attached Files:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. Timostag

Timostag Bit Poster

wow, ok my CV is obliviously the problem!!

I've started to re-write it. I'm starting with a personal profile to outline what I am looking for and what I have to offer. Then I have put education as I think my foundation degree is the most relevant skill/qualification, with the modules included on the course to give more insight as to my knowledge.

Then I thought work experience should go next, but as none of my work experience is relevent to IT support should I keep it as breif as possible? e.g. date, company, position or should I keep the bullets but make them relate to IT as possible (this will be difficult).

Finally, an adittional information section where I can add about self studying the MCDST cert and hoobies such as building custom PC's.

Certifications: A+,MTA:Networking, MTA: Server Fundamentals MTA:Operating Systems MTA:Security Fundamentals ITIL Foundation
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Did you see mine? none of mine has anything o do with IT support but has computer experience. Its all about beefing it up but not lying.

This is my semi good one

Attached Files:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. Timostag

Timostag Bit Poster

Here is my first draft, basically I've cut out anything that isnt relevant to IT support.

Ive seen alot of CV's with a list of skills such as using microsoft office, mysql, performing back up's ect. but Im not sure wether this is best on my CV or wether I should put all that on a cover letter?

on a side note I got a call back today about an apprenticeship with HP :) the pay is crap but I could just about get by on it and working for HP would surly open doors in the futre

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  10. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Covering letters tend to get lost in the modern recruitment process at many places, some agents even edit and reformat your CV, I've turned up to some interviews to be asked why my CV is so messed up, after the recruiter butchered it.

Covering letters are good for direct applications to make you stand out and show you've put extra thought and effort in.

Generally though everything of importance should be on the CV.

The covering letter used to be how you showed you were fit for the role and who you were etc, a bit more personal than the CV.

Now we have targeted CV's and personal profiles, recruiters and web based job portals, the covering letter is pretty much dead, I've not written one for 12 years at least.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  11. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Fixed. This is pretty much a standard practice throughout the recruitment world, for a variety of reasons.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  12. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I lot of them do it to remove your personal details possibly to stop the employer contacting you direct and cutting the agency out. Had it done to my CV a few times.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011