Is Dual booting two files systems reliable?

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by Boycie, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

After starting to use the recommended Ubuntu I would like to dual boot with it on my beloved Tosh that currently has Pro on it. :D
    I have come across a few articles (not here) saying some things don't work on either OS when sharing the same hard drive. :(
    I suppose they put this down to the two different file structures on the same drive?
    Your opinions/experiences would be appreciated guys.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Can you be more specific or at least post the links to your sources. When dual booting between Windows and Linux, what is supposed to get broken on either OS?

I Googled "dual boot linux windows" and came up with a ton of results including these:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/install-guide/ch-x86-dualboot.html

http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux/grub-w2k-HOWTO.html

http://www.littlewhitedog.com/content-52.html

Incidently, I just loaded ubuntu into VMware a few days ago and have been playing with it. It's hard to get used to not just switching to root whenever I need to get an admin task done. I've just scratched the surface with it of course, but it does seem quite workable.

I've chronicled some of my adventures in the HOW TO forum at Linux Tutorial if anyone wants to take a look.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

provided you partition the drive properly i cant see it being a problem really

partition it in linux for maximum capability, all primary partitions (4 maximum, ubunto doesnt use a /boot on a dedicated partition though, so you should only need to use 3!)

hda1 /boot
    hda2 swap
    hda3 /
    hda4 windows ntfs

use grub for your bootloader in the mbr

thats how i did it :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Phoenix,

Thanks for the input. Can't say i can finnd the articles, sorry :oops:
    One person said that sometimes XP wants to check drive integrity when booting after using *nix. Maybe he has accessed windows while in the Linux part?

Thanks for the links-the last times out.

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

6. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

Agree with Phoenix. Never had a problem dual booting Windows/Linux in the past. As long as partitions are setup properly. Theres not much chance of going wrong these days tho :)

Neall

WIP: A+
  7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Hi,

Thanks for the slow reply guy's. Due to work I didn't have much chance to reply yesturday, sorry.

Trip- The Linux tutorial link works today. :D

Phoenix- Sorry i can't be more specific about the problems but I can't find the articles. Why didn't I bookmark them? :oops:
    Can I still have the Windows Partition formated in NTFS? I know when dual booting MS you have to stick with FAT32. What does happen if you try to dual boot two Windows machines with NTFS?

Neall- thanks for the input, appreciated. :D

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Yes...your Windows partition can be formatted with NTFS. Just don't expect a lot of access to your Windows files from your Linux box...or is that true anymore? Phoenix?

9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Thanks Trip.
    I have also seen somewhere (can't find where) that sometimes Windows wants to do what used to be called Scandisk in 9X when you have used Linux. i.e after the first boot into Windows after using Linux :blink

10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I've been reading Ross Brunson's LPI I Exam Cram 2 book. On page 14 he says this:

11. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Thanks for that Trip. :)
    I would like to have Windows and Linux on two different hard drives but on a laptop that is a bit tricky :biggrin