Is computer gaming negatively affecting your life?

Discussion in 'Gamers Hangout' started by ffreeloader, Jul 23, 2006.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

If it is, you have company.

You can read the rest of this 2 page article from extremetech.com here. It ought to be sobering if you do have any of the symptoms of gaming addiction in your life. It can very easily destroy a person as the symptoms for this are the same as the symptoms for drug and alcohol or gambling addictions, and those will eat a person up and spit them out in a big hurry.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

It's scary. Wasn't there a Chinese guy a few months back who died of dehydration after playing WoW in a cybercafe for 48 hours straight? Or something like that anyway. Crazy.

[EDIT] I couldn't find that story, but here are two others that make me wonder about the world. (1) & (2) .

I've never been a believer in the "games and films make you want to kill people theory", but things like this, and the fact that gaming is becoming a recognised addiction are beginning to make me change my opinions. :eek:

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Theres also a few examples in the far east of people killing people for things that happen in a game
    one guy conned a guy out of a high end 'in game' sword, ie one that might take months to get hold of, and the guy stabbed him to death

i guess some people just take the games a tad too seriously :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0