Is Cloud computing really the future?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Juelz, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Do you really think it is? and how long in the future are we really talking? I wouldn't say it was that big at this point, its growing admittedly but at what rate?

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

You're kidding, Cloud Computing is huge at the moment, next step on will be containers.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

I wouldn't say the future - but sort of.

prime example, my company are financial services. we have regulations in place that all our data be housed on premise in our data centers, not allowed out of it. But saying that, we're currently building out our own private cloud and services.

I think cloud is great for small/medium business - i think to get it into an enterprise environment would be a lot more difficult.

My friend runs a small translation business, everything he has is cloud based - but for him that's perfect.

like you said, it's there and it's growing

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

So let me add to this, cloud computing means so many different things to different people.

You can have public cloud, private cloud and hybrid cloud, you also have the various xAAS offerings (Platform, Software, Infrastructure etc).

Cloud is big now it's just that people don't realise that they could already be using a cloud service of some sort.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Simon has a good point.. Cloud computing is just a vague marketing term.

But I think I know what you meant to say Juelz. I am assuming you meant to say, is all of our data going to live somewhere else but our homes / enterprise in the future?

And in reality, it will most likely and that even applies to some of the harder applications to virtualize, such as video games. Today we purchase games from Steam, Origin, or any other store and we load them up on to our PC. In the future, the games will be in the cloud ready to be streamed. There will be a datacenter that does all the computational tasks for you, so perhaps even in the future, hardware of a PC will be irrelevant as it won't be the PCs doing all the heavy lifting.

Same can be applied to anything else we do with our computers. I also believe that in the future, all the data will be store in the cloud (datacenter) by default. You just install the Operating System, create your account and voila, everything will be automatically uploaded to the cloud. Microsoft is starting to push OneDrive, it's only a matter of time before it becomes the standard for saving your data.

This also applies to enterprises, but we know enterprises tend to be slower adopters than the consumers, but by 2030, things will be very different in IT, of that I am pretty sure. I also believe that the jobs will change a lot as well. You're no longer going to have the same approach or thought process towards enterprise IT. New jobs will be created, new roles will open up.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Based on my observations, it is huge. And Enterprises are definitely going for it.

I'm assisting one company with 80k users and another with around half a million to move a ton of workloads to Microsoft Online. Another 80k user company I in the pipe line as well for me.

workloads include EXO, ODfB, SfB, SPS online and Yammer.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Sounds like you'll be busy for a while :)

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

People actually use Yammer?

i used it once and dismissed it instantly lol

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud