Is CCNA for me?

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by Boxrick, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Boxrick

Boxrick Bit Poster

I have recently finished a degree in Computer Games Programming ( well I screwed up my final year ... :cry: due to lack of funds ). I will however look at completing my degree at some point, for the moment I need to build up some additional real world experience and more importantly get my foot in the employment ladder.

I have worked for a company down near where my parents live for a number of years sorting out there computers / network. Dealing with routers / switches / VLANS / Nat wireless networking issues, it is however a small network consisting of around 12 computers then a separate training centre and multiple wifi hotspots I have set up.

Whilst I am good at programming I wish to go down the career path of networking, it is something I enjoy. Can be a challenge and is the sort of thing I enjoy doing, having programmed for many years Id say I am very computer literate and have a good grasp of most things involving networking.

1) Simply put is CCNA a good way of moving myself forwards? It believe it will fill in the knowledge gaps I am missing, give me the all important "piece of paper" to prove I am capable of doing it.

2) Would anyone give me some additional advice regarding taking a training course and ultimately the exam? I am happy to travel for the better courses I do like the look of the commsupport course down in Manchester.

2. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

From what you have said you have supported sounds really good and if they will give you a reference then it doesnt sound too bad.

The thing I have found out is i have met alot of poeple that are good at programming, but dont have a clue about IT support in a corporate enviroment. It doesnt sound like you but supporting something in a home/soho enviroment is totally different to a corporate enviroment.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I would say look at the Network+ or the CCENT before you jump straight into the CCNA.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. mdavies

mdavies Bit Poster

similar experience... know programmers working in telecom (voip, ip pbx stuff) and they don't know anything about networking. those who do have a huge step up above the others. i think with most techs, the more you know about several fields (networking, systems, coding, etc.) the more $$ you'll get :biggrin

good luck!

5. Boxrick

Boxrick Bit Poster

Well I have just began studying for my CCNA, it seems like I will learn something valuable. I did look at A+ but it all seems to be questions on outdated hardware and unused ports... Then looked at the N+ and whilst it seems ok much of it I already know. Id rather learn something than do a cert simply for the sake of having it. Therefore I Booked a course with commsupport in Manchester for next month for CCNA. Purchased a bunch of Cisco routers and switches to get some hands on experience and currently got my head buried in books, videos and Routing emulators. Shortly I hope to be passing my exam!

Wish me luck....

Cheers for the feedback :)

6. certnerd

certnerd Bit Poster

Have you considered doing a Cisco Network Academy course at a local college.

I did mine at the network academy in

I did all of CCNA and CCNP for the cost of just ICND1 at global rip off.

Instructor led course, plenty of lab time on real gear and plenty of like minded students to work with.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  7. Poley

Poley Bit Poster

Cant reccomend this option highly enough, am currently studying for the ccna at my local college. Instructor is brilliant, prices are good and the oppourtunity to play with the actual kit is invaluable

Certifications: Comptia A+, MCP 70-271, 70-272 MCDST, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291 MCSA 77-888 Excel 2010, 77-884 Outlook 2010 ITIL V3F ,
    WIP: Network+, ICND1