Is Big Ben actually attach to parliment?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Mitzs, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

not to mention damn difficult to pull off. Remember, its the bells that move back and forth, the clapper doesnt really move. So in order to do something like that, they would need to strap him to the bell itselfand line it up perfectly.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Actually - in this case it is the other way about.

See photo here.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Greendan

Greendan New Member

Dude, you're totally right. Bloody Billy Connelly. He tells that story in his World Tour of England, Scotland & Wales series. Damn. Never trust a scottish comedian, eh?

4. GrumbleDook

GrumbleDook Byte Poster

Western bells tend to find two forms, hammer bells and free-hanging bells. The former are used heavily in clock towers whilst the latter are common within churches. People tend to associate the clapper (note, this is not a hammer) hitting the inside of the bell wall (actually on the sound ring). Hammers more commonly hit the outside of the bell and some bells even have multiple hammers as the location of where the hammer hits can change the resonance of the chime.

Free-hanging bells mainly operate in two methods, by moving the complete bell so the clapper strikes the sound ring (the clapper also moves during this process, but the larger mass movement is that of the bell itself) or by the clapper being pulled against the side of the stationary bell. When looking at large bells,
    the former is done by rope and counterweights attached to the bell and the latter by rope attached to the clapper.

Smaller versions of these can be seen as the simple hand bell for an example of the former and the in many an army mess, hanging at the end of the bar.

5. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

This is off-topic, but Big Ben isn't attached to Parliament, he plays for the Chicago Bulls.... :twisted:

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Guy or guido Fawkes was done brave heart stylee, he was hung untill almost dead then taken down from the galows and had internal organs removed whilst being kept alive then they chopped of his limbs and scattered them his head was put on a spike for every one to see and stop people from trying it again.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Heres some info on "big ben" by the company that made it
    http://www.whitechapelbellfoundry.co.uk/bigben.htm

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  8. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I was always taught that guy fawkes died from the hanging (broke his neck) and thus was dead during the drawing and quartering

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  9. greenbrucelee

intresting I used to collect a monthly magazine when I was younger about the gunpowder plot and it said inside that he was alive during his disembowling it was only when the cut his head off that he was dead.

I still have the drawings depicting his end at home.

EDIT: just to add he was also put on the rack where his legs and arms were ripped from their sockets too.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

The plot thickens (get it hehe)

Wiki says that:

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  11. greenbrucelee

crazy, maybe the stuff I got as a kid was incorrect then :confused3