1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is A+ necessary as a starting point even for a networking or security career?

Discussion in 'General CompTIA Certifications' started by mark_bridges, Jul 4, 2013.

1. mark_bridges

mark_bridges New Member

Hi

I have just complete college (non-IT course) but over the years spent a lot of time designing websites, troubleshooting PCs..basically nosing my way around different things. But what interested me most were the security and networking aspects. I would like to build a career in one of those, but from what I see on the forums, A+ seems to be the starting point in general. My question is this - do I need to take the A+ even if I want to get into the networking/security fields, or can I attempt the N+/S+ exams after enough hands-on practice and going through the study materials?

2. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

The A+ is very definitely worth it if you have no commercial IT experience, apart from anything else you are unlikely to walk straight into a networking or security role without on the job experience working in a support role.

Certs != job

The N+ and S+ won't get you a job on their own.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10