1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is a Master CIW Designer qualification better than a degree?

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by poolzey89, Sep 24, 2009.

1. poolzey89

poolzey89 New Member

I was wondering what qualification is the best to have to become a web designer/delevoper?

Or is a bachelors or masters degree the same standard as a Master Ciw Designer?

I think that most companies look for degrees, but i've heard than CIW is an industry recognised qualification.

Please, please help on which is the better.

Thankyou:)

2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Short answer: No.

I've not heard of a masters degree in web design, but who knows.
    CIW is a fairly basic cert which will give you a good heads up, but won't be recongised in the same way a degree will.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. Ando

Ando Bit Poster

As JohnnyMX says, Master CIW Designer is good but nowhere near as good as a degree.

As an example, I was fortunate enough to be able to do several certifications through uni which all counted towards part of my degree in I.T.

Master CIW Designer consists of 3 exams which my uni (University of the West of Scotland) had assessed as 3 modules at 1st year level. (My uni required 8 modules per year at increasing levels of difficulty each year).
    This would mean that Master CIW Designer counts as 3/8s of a first year uni course.

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, Mstr CIW Dsgnr
    WIP: MCSA
  4. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

I've never known any of the CIW certifications to be all that highly regarded. I am CIW-certified and I've never had it be requested as a requirement for a job (even jobs as a Web developer). My degree, on the other hand, has been helpful in getting every job I've had since graduating.