Is a job in IT really worth it ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by grim, Dec 16, 2008.

1. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

I've been in IT for as long as i can remember and have done nothing but IT. Even all my friends and family have accepted my unsociable behaviour as i spend the majority of my time sat in front of a screen.

I took the usual route of school, college and then university and got my first full time IT job leaving uni. I worked for about a year building and supporting custom pcs, servers and cluster nodes, which for me at the time was a perfect job as the director there was mad on modifying and overclocking as i was. After a year i decided i needed to move on as the job wasn't going any where and i needed a job with prospects. I then got a job repairing and testing Cisco, 3com and Nortel switches, routers and interface modules as networking was the way i wanted to go. I was there about a year before outgrowing the position and moving back down to London. There i was pushed back towards support roles, where i worked various positions and i'm now looking for my 4th job in 18 months. This is due to all my previous employers lying about the role and training prospects to lure in the right candidate.

I've achieved numerous IT certs, several years experience and a dedication and passion for IT that very few people have. I always have personal projects on the go which has now moved more so towards self study certs, yet i find my self being continually screwed over and finding it extremely difficult to find the right job.

Which now brings me on to the point of this, is IT really worth all the effort ? If i was working in any other industry i would be so much further than i am now in IT. I'm still young enough to jump ship and start a new career and as i'm currently out of work it could be the right time to make the move.

GRim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I suppose whatever you love is "worth it" regardless of the path that it takes. You say that in any other career, you'd be so much further along than you are now. Without doing a detailed analysis of all possible career paths, my guess is that is and isn't true. It would depend on the path and probably a lot of variables, some you'd have control of and some you wouldn't.

The bottom line is that it's worth it if you believe it's worth it. If it's not, then perhaps it's time for a change. It all comes down to answering a simple question: What do you want?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Don't be so sure about this, there are pitfalls, backstabbers and tossers in every circle of society never mind employment. Moving up in any job is difficult enough.

Although officially I don't do IT I still do IT related work and this has just happend (to a bigger level) and I have been in my job 8 years.

I am also in the fortunate position of not really having the need for a boss as I know what I need to do and can do my job with my eyes closed. At the moment the so called untouchable people in my company are rattled because some of their positions are being made redundant and I have been told I would be safe even if the company lost more money than it is now.

My point to this is you will get to where you want to be in the end if you stick at it, it may take a long time, it may not.

If you have actually lost your passion for IT then it's probably time to move on but as I have said you'll find backstabbers and pitfalls in what ever career you are in.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

I know people in other industries who do so much less they work the 9-5 and thats it but have still managed to progress further. I even know people who have progressed further without even likeing their job :confused3

I love IT, its the IT industry i dont like they are all so 2 faced

GRim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I think it's a lot about recognising what you do well and what you don't and trying to get into the "right" environment to exploit the good bits.

Maybe working for other people just doesn't suit you - ever thought of going it alone ? Maybe not ideal in the current climate but if you can get enough business coming in constantly there are a lot of benefits.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  6. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I'm not sure that the 'IT industry' can be two-faced.

Have you always worked in the same sector? IT is such a wide-ranging career option, that I can see how finding your niche would be difficult.

If you have such a dedicated passion for IT then I would say that you are going through an unfortunate period of disillusionment, and to hang in there.

Though you don't seem to talk with too much passion at all about your current situation. Are you sure you still love IT, or is it now just a habit, as you've worked with it for so long? It can be a bit like a stale long term relationship - loving someone simply because you've been attached to them for so long - but deep down you know the heart and soul left a long time ago.

If you have always worked in the same sector, than I would strongly suggest you look elsewhere for your next position. If you've always worked for large companies, look to work for an SMB, and vice versa - a change of environment may just be the thing you need to spice it up again so to speak.

Also may I ask, when you were little, what did you want to do? Has IT been the only career that entered your mind?

I wouldn't say you'd be further in any other career with the same amount of effort - but I'll expand on that later when I'm not at work and rushing to type :/

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  7. Stuzzle

Stuzzle Byte Poster

I think you should consider Grim what it is you give more value to:
    Doing a job you enjoy, or progressing through the ranks

Certifications: A+, MCSA: Windows 7, 70-640, 70-642
    WIP: 70-646
  8. greenbrucelee

I have only worked in 4 completely different types of employment and have met 2 faced people in all of them. Some people who do well or work hard get **** on all the time, remember school there was always one person who did well and always got good grades but they were always made to feel crap by other pupils unfortunately I see this is a common thing throughout life in general.

Some work collegues will do the same as happend at school.

Like what has been said, maybe working for yourself would be beneficial to you or maybe go for work in a small company, then the less people you have to work with the less backstabbing will go on as it will be more recognisable to the managers.

9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

If your having to ask that question then possibly not
    depends what your idea of 'progression' is
    also if your looking at an IT position like a single job with progression your wrong.

IT is a support practice for most industries, and it generally contains very few staff per revenue generating employee, so where can you really go? move around a bit, change jobs, learn different technologies, then ask yourself the same question in a year or so.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  10. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

I enjoyed my 3 years working in the NHS doing IT, It gave me a great grounding in IT though.
    Even though i never go more than £16k per year.
    I only moved out as i was offered a better paid job by a firm i used to work for.
    I hope to get back in to IT in the future.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  11. greenbrucelee

I also understand that it must be hard for you at the moment especially at crimbo but try to stay positive.:D

12. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

To tell the truth, it doesn't sound that you've taken the wrong career path, it does sound like you haven't found the right company to work for or the right IT field.

Every career path has the same ups & downs, stick with it; nothing comes easy and the higher you go the harder it gets :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  13. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I was about to type up exactly the same thing as Ken said.

So err what Ken said :D

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  14. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Grim, I can some what understand your point and yes IT as a career is stressful and often encompasses what you've mentioned above.

However, there is no field or career that does not have it's up's and down's. I'd say this because prior to taking on a career path as IT I've worked in customer service roles, tried marketing, sales and finance.

I finally came to this agreement that I love computers and technology in general. In the end it took me over five years after college and doing certs to gain my first IT role.

I was lied to and made redundant in less than two months without a job and couldn't find one for over another two close to three years.

I was asking myself after being lied to by IT recruitment sales rep and even companies, is it worth it?. I was offered a job once after a second grilling interview and then told three days later recruitment was frozen. This happened twice with two different company's and I'm talking big names like HP etc.

I then took a job working in a private company's post room delivering mails and some customer service roles which I hated.

I did this for over two years and couldn't even land a helpdesk 1st line role with my three MCP's in NT 4 platform and a BTEC national certificate in business and finance.

Well, to cut a long story short IT as a career sometimes really ain't worth it. Well to be honest anything to gain money in life does not come easy.

Well unless the person is just plain lucky. Keep your head high dude and vet company's that offer you a job before accepting the offer.

By the above I mean browsing through their web site possibly ring the IT helpdesk and act like a student wanting to ask one or two questions about staff morale and retention etc. Best wishes and don't let losers as company's that's let you down alter your interest and vision.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You can't paint IT with that broad of a brush. You've just worked with the wrong people at the wrong companies. They're not all like that. I've certainly encountered a few bad apples, but by and large, I've had excellent co-workers and supervisors.

If you love IT, an IT career is worth it. Just get in with a good company, and you will be fine.

I hope you find what you're looking for. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Hi Grim

We all have doubts in life, and to be honest I have come across a lot of people in IT, who really shouldnt be there, a lot of these in management positions as well, but at the end of the day, you get paid to do a role, and working in IT for me is 100 million times better than the data entry job i took 10 years ago in between college and my first IT role, and I have never looked back.

I think the idea to go it alone is a good idea, but you need to be into business as well as IT, I was self employed for 3 years, and worked for one company, ideally I should have grown the business, but because my interest is IT then i didnt have the nouse then or the willingness to do it, now may be a different story.

I think the key is finding a company you want to work for, people to work with, its the same in any industry, and its usually a very hard thing to find.

While ive been job searching ive dedicated a specific amount of time each day to looking through sites, sending CVs and seeing if there is anything more I could do, after that i didnt think about looking for a job and did what I wanted, either study or waste my time on football manager 2008 lol

I hope you find something soon, it would be a shame for the industry to lose a talented tech

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  17. Crito

Crito Banned

You can (re)use you IT skills in any field. Don't be afraid to switch tracks if the one you're on makes you unhappy.

As for me, I'm still waiting for a single dime of bailout money from my gov (US) for the tech bubble that burst in 2001. Seems they'd rather re-inflate the cost of living bubble that makes it impossible for me to compete with cheap labor they're importing from India. Politicians don't seem to understand THEY ARE THE PROBLEM. How can I work for $10 an hour when it costs that much just to pay for their huge bureaucracies?

Electrical engineering looks like fun (and no arrogant !@#$ will say I'm not a "real" engineer)... designing digital circuits is just like doing symbolic logic and that was easy for me in uni.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  18. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

It sounds like IT isnt the issue here, more like you havent found the right company to work for.

Hang in there mate :thumbleft

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  19. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

It sounds to me grim like everything has gotten on top of you at the minute. You need to stay focussed and you will get the job your after. As for the right job, you can only get the right job for the time because as you progress with your knowledge that job might become mundane and dead end.

Also you say that other people have progressed more in other careers but what do you count progression as?
    For instance you could start a job flipping burgers at mcdonalds and make manager in a short time, but is that true progression compared to working up to server admin or something?

I think IT is one of them careers that you have got to constantly be learning even just to stay current in let alone progress in, you say that you love IT which is half the battle because you are more likely to learn the information for your own interest as opposed to just to do a job.

Hang in there, once your back in the game you will remember why you wanted to be in it in the first place.

WIP: A+
  20. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Did you ever think about grad schemes?

They tend to offer some sort of 'career progression' that is my eventual aim in the next few years after I have gained a solid foundation/certs and have got traveling out of my system.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.