Is a franking machine 'IT'?

Discussion in 'Polling Station' started by juice142, Aug 23, 2007.

?

Is a franking machine 'IT'

1. Absoflippinlutely, get out there and sort it!

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  2. Not blinkin' likely, you'll be fixing the fridge next.

36 vote(s)
    76.6%
  3. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, who knows (or cares)?

9 vote(s)
    19.1%
  1. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

One of the girls can't get the new franking machine to work, so of course she calls me. Now, I know the phone line works because she's plugged it in to the same line as the old (but fully functioning) machine.

My knowledge of these things is, frankly (sorry), zilcho. Do I spend an inordinate amount of time beefing up on this machine when I could be busy doing my proper job (posting here)?

In order for me to make this difficult decision I ask you the question above...

Cheers, :biggrin

J.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  2. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

In my option? No

In my company's opinion? Yes

"Because it uses electric means its IT" in my company unfortunately....

Do you work at a small company by any chance? :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Sorry, I dont have the foggiest as to what a Franking machine is!!! :oops:

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  4. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

It's a reasonably big company, but the site I work at is relatively small, so I'm the only IT representative here! :rolleyes:

J.

5. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

It's one of those things for bulk mailing, you bung the envelopes in and it stamps them for you. :biggrin

J.

6. C4sper

C4sper Byte Poster

"When the photocopier doesn't work, call IT support. There's electronics in it, right?"

I've attached that to my company email sign and to my skype status and since then I can see a small drop in those calls :)

the bottol line is that MOST OF those things (copiers, franking and others) have quite good support.
    in my opinion the only thing you should do is to find her a website with the helpdesk contact number.

Certifications: ECDL, A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  7. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

Yup, she's already got that and that's what I've advised her to do! 8)

J.

8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

No, imo, a franking machine isn't "IT", it's falls into the realm of photocopiers and fax machines, etc. However it does depend on your company's view, the first port of call first of all is to contact the supplier or Royal Mail - whoever actually supplied the equipment.

We (the IT Dept) will assist at our place with the franking machine, but only as an act of good faith from us.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

thats a negative!

on the same note, we had someone call it because it was cold, and they wanted the heating turned up.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  10. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Good Point!

Let's face it we've all been down this road. I was asked to fix a fax machine, a mobile phone and kettle. When I asked why their reply was "well it's got electronics in it??":ohmy

In my opinion no the franking machine should not be part of the job. Having said which i know when I worked for the local council they got the IT dept. to fix the Franking machine because it uses software and it was displaying a run time error on the LCD screen of the Franking machine.

I guess it's up to you at the end of the day Juice. But you know what will happen if you do fix it?

They will ring you again when it stops working rather than get an engineer in from the company who make them!8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  11. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Then again maybe you should fix it? (how good looking is this girl who runs the franking machine???) :biggrin :twisted:

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  12. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

in my opinion no and you should tell her that but say you'll do it as a favour and in return she might do you a favour :dry

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  13. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

it really depends on what is wrong with it too. Remember that a lot of support companies will refuse to support an item which has been 'tampered' with. If its as simple as a 'voltage supply discontinuation' then fair enough, but if you have to open the thing up, you may be voiding the support on the product.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  14. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nah, definitely not IT ! :biggrin be asking you to reorder their rubber stamps and post it notes next !

15. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

I view an IT person as being responsible for maintaining computer systems and their peripherals - both internal and external. Given that a franking machine is neither, of course it's not part of your IT responsibilities!

If you do fix it award yourself the cert 'MCFMP' (Microsoft Certified Franking Machine Professional). :D

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  16. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No, I don't think a franking machine it "IT". So if another franking person comes up to you and tells them to fix their franking machine, you can tell them what the frank IT really is, and they can just go frank themselves. Franking users... :dry

Sorry... couldn't franking resist! :p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  17. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Welcome to the real world guys. Sorry but in my school, if it has a plug on it, it must be IT. If it's plugged into the phone line, then it deff is IT.

We do try and train our teachers but ............

I did have a problem with just such a machine not so long ago and all that was done was the lengh of the cable was shortened. Go figure

Chech the the baud rate is OK. You may need to play about with it so that it will communicate (I take it you use the phone line to "top up" the franking machine).

edit: we are called the ITC dept (Information Technology and Communication Dept), who the hell put the C in ITC

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  18. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

give it a kick :D

it looks like one of those machines that will work with a bit of abuse thrown at it

but no it isnt IT but as has been said some companies expect IT to change plugs and reset photocopiers n stuff.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  19. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

You think thats bad, I once worked on a contract as a DBA - and had to do everything else as well, including user support. One woman, notorious for being a pain in the arse, came up to me one morning and said "The kettle lead isn't working". No joke.

About two months later, the contract manager asked us to design name badges, because the customer decided that they may want them introduced at some point. I'll try and dig up the design I came up with - it said 'IT STAFF' - then underneath in smaller letters: 'underpaid, underappreciated, overworked'. Right at the bottom, in VERY small letters, it said '...and no I can NOT fix your f***ing kettle'. Needless to say my design wasn't chosen...

Incidentally, the same user about a month before I left the contract, came up to me and said she could 'smell burning' in her office. i, of course, politely enquired whether I LOOKED LIKE A F***ING FIREMAN to her...

Oh - I nearly forgot - the reason I posted is that we had a Franking machine on that contract and I wasn't expected to look after it when it broke. If THEY didn't consider it IT equipment, then no other organisation should - because we truly fixed everything else with a PCB in it!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  20. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

my college course was renamed from IT to ICT (information communication technology) :confused3 i don't like it, it looses that nerd appeal

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640