Is A+ Enough to Repair for $???

Discussion in 'A+' started by BlakeInOhio, May 25, 2006.

1. BlakeInOhio

BlakeInOhio New Member

Hey Guys,
    I just signed up on this board because I'm thinking about getting my A+ certification. I have a number of years with computer experience and now I want to take it a step further. My question, is it possible to start charging people $ to fix/repair/troubleshoot their computers with an A+ cert? Like, once I pass the test and feel as though I'm completely comfortable, would it be possible to make this into a sort of side job? Would you prefer other certs first (Network +, etc)? I guess what I'm trying to say is when can I actually make this into a profitable hobby for myself? I have a good job right now that doesn't involve IT or anything so I'm not looking to go to a new job. But I would like to do this on the side. Can you guys give me some info on when I could start doing this for some extra $? Thanks a lot!

Certifications: None as of yet
    WIP: A+, Network +
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome!

My view is that you can charge for your work when you are comfortable about that work. A+ is a bonus - but I know of excelent engineers who haven't got A+, but their work is still good.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. BlakeInOhio

BlakeInOhio New Member

Thanks, Harry! Any other input out there?

4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I would agree with Harry. There are many people in all industries who can do the job well with no certifications.
    I believe Certification is learning the textbook way and can put you at an advantage if job hunting if competing with other people with similar experience.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. BlakeInOhio

BlakeInOhio New Member

Gotcha. I think it'd be a good idea for me to get the A+ then. Who knows, some day I may want to do this stuff full time and that'll help out. What others would you reccomend afterwards? Network +? Thanks!

6. rwilmot

rwilmot Nibble Poster

Blake, if you do go for it then why not take a look at ********* i just found it and it looks very interesting..

EDIT SG: Link removed pending Review. 8)

Certifications: Village Idiot Award
    WIP: working towards everything..
  7. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

rwilmot. that site has some copyrighted material in there, cant remember where about, but could you edit and remove that link please..

8. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

You'l be amazed at what you DON'T know when you take an A+ course!

Knowing what a computer looks like and how to plug things in is enough to get by,but knowing wha's going on under the bonnet is something you'll learn through A+.It doesn't stop there either,you'll gain enough knowledge to go where angels fear to tread and tackle the delicacies within DOS,within the inner workings of various operating systems and the closely guarded secrets of the network...ok,I play with words but thats the gist of it.

You say you're planning to use A+ as part of a hobby?Well thats even better,you'll enjoy it I think and be glad you took it on.

Good luck with whatever path you decide to folow and feel free to ask if you have anymore questions.

8)

Certifications: A+ Network+
  9. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

As its a link to a site that is hosting the material and is not directly connected to, or hosted by CF the I so no problem with it. 8)

EDIT: I have removed the link in question until Mods can review. 8)

10. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

hmmm... i posted that site some time ago, and remember someone pm'ing about it, so i removed it... :blink
    :offtopic

11. BlakeInOhio

BlakeInOhio New Member

Yeah, I figure it could start as a hobby, then turn into a little more once I get it all down. Being newly married, I'm thinking about trying to use the knowledge on the side to create some extra money. I live in Cleveland so I'm sure there are plenty of respective ITs out there, but I live in the suburbs where some people may need a little help and I can be the one to service that. I also thought of possibly starting an adult education class for the older folks out there that don't quite understand computers. Since comuters are the wave of the future, everyone's going to need to know how to work one. The class could teach the basics about computers, windows, downloading, email, etc. I'm just throwing things out there. Thank you all for the input! I'll be around.