Is a career a step-by-step journey or just a wait for the break?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Jiser, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7968044.stm

Thought some people might want a read. IMO its a mix of both.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  2. Adam Banner

Adam Banner Poster Galore

3. wagnerk
    Highly Decorated Member Award

wagnerk aka kitkatninja Moderator

I agree, imo, it is a mixture of both. A nice mixture of both is what I use for my career and it's been working for me.

-Ken

Certifications: CITP, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, PTLLS, MCT, MCITP, MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, MTA, MCAS, MOS (Master), A+, N+, S+, ACA, VCA, etc... & 2nd Degree Black Belt
    WIP: MCE and PM Cert
  4. BosonMichael

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep. Actively pursue the step-by-step journey... and if a break happens to appear, be ready to take it. If you forego the step-by-step journey and just wait on the break, you may end up disappointed. Plus, breaks tend to come to those who are actively climbing step-by-step.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Triton.Deep

Triton.Deep Bit Poster

What Michael said provided a little inspiration. That quote by Seneca is the one that has always stood out to me the most, but they all hit in the same direction. I think we all know that sometimes the slacker who knows somebody gets the break that should go to someone else, but even so we still don't have much of a choice except to make the best of things and excel with every opportunity presented.

:)

J.

Certifications: MCITP EMA, MCTS, MCSE (x3), CCNA, A+,etc
    WIP: MCM for Exchange probably. Not Sure
  6. BosonMichael

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I am humbled and honored to be quoted amongst such great thinkers. :oops:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!