Is 220-604 a good route when it comes to job availability?

Discussion in 'A+' started by bijomaru, Jul 1, 2009.

1. bijomaru

bijomaru New Member

As I am mainly interested in hardware and I could spend all day fiddling with my PC, building others and digging through piles of parts, I am thinking about taking that exam after 220-601.

The thing I am worried about is if it is not too narrow when it comes to jobs that may be available for me. Would it be wiser to get 220-602 and be able to fit in more job requirements?

WIP: A+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

All of the exams have a bit of overlap but remember nothing will gaurantee you a job.That being said most people take the 220-602 after the essential exam

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. bijomaru

bijomaru New Member

I know there are no guarantees in this harsh situation we are living in now. What I am curious about is if anyone on this forum that took 220-604 found it that getting a job after getting qualified mainly on hardware related information, was any harder. And the other way, if I'd go with 602, will this stop me from getting a depot technician job due to lack of hardware knowledge?

I am not sure which way to go. 604 is what I'd like more but 602 might be wiser to choose.

4. greenbrucelee

Like I said the exams have overlaps between them so if you study the whole A+ then you should be able to do any of the exams. Employers won't know wether you did the 602,603 or 604 all they care about is that you have the A+ certification so do which exams you want.

5. bijomaru

bijomaru New Member

Oh. This is something I didn't think about. I thought the certificate states which area have you covered at the exam.

Thanks for that info, made my decision a lot easier to make :)

6. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Really?
    My cert says I'm a certified IT Technician, the publish credentials part of my comptia account not only says I'm an IT Technician but specifies the 220-602.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  7. greenbrucelee

Yes your certificate may say that but how many employers do you think say I want to see your certificate to prove what you did? not many.

The only time I have ever been asked to produce proof of qualifications was when I went to university, no employer has ever asked me to prove them. They have ways of finding out anyway.

8. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I see the OP got hold of the wrong end of the stick there as well.
    The confusion is cleared up so job done.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job