is 11,500 to low for first job

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by buy_my_cookies, Jul 4, 2008.

1. buy_my_cookies

buy_my_cookies Bit Poster

hi a job for a ICT tech has come up at a school near me, from what i can guess from the description its basically user support. this is about £2000 less then im on now (just an admin type job). i worked out i could just about survive (wouldnt want to for any more then 6months) on this but would have to cut back a lot on luxuries (less beer).

just this seems very low even just for 1st line/helpdesk type jobs. would it be worth takin the wage hit for 6 months just for the experience just wondering if others would wait it out for a job with a little more dont expect a lot for first job but was expecting at least £13000

Certifications: BTEC national diploma in computing.
    WIP: N+
  2. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

if its going to get you into IT then go for it

Grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

It is on the lower end of the payscale for an entry level IT job, but not unheard of (some places will still pay lower than that). And as Grim said:

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

What's the minimum wage these days, must be over 11k.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  5. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

depends on locations but then again you're after experience not money

Grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  6. Paul_o

Paul_o Nibble Poster

if you can afford to live on that wage then go for it.

Certifications: C&G Advanced diploma in network support
  7. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Cant really add too much more than the others have said but if you are sure you can take the hit then go for it, but 11k is rather close to the breadline so you have got to be sure of your sums. It may well be the great jump into IT that you need, 6 months though might be a little short for some perspective next employers.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  8. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Go for it, when you get 6 months to a years experience on your CV (and perhaps a few certs) then you will have way more options!

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Tell ya what cookies, if ya don't want it i'll take it. Sounds like you went for the same one i did.....

You have to remeber that for the school they class it as part time as its not 37 hours and its only for 43 weeks of the year not 52. (you get more holidays to make up for the lower wage).

Bear in mind the cost of travel though. I'm currently on 16.6k but with the travel involved i could afford to take a lower wage job locally and still survive. So if you can live of a lower wage then it shouldn't matter. Obviously it nicer to earn more, but you can't have everything, a foot on the ladder or a high wage?

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  10. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

It is quite low but schools often pay poorly. As an opportunity to get a foot in the door though, it may be worth it. Especially if there is scope to learn more 2nd line stuff and not just helpdesk. The experience will pay for itself a year down the line (I think 6 months is not enough and could reflect badly on potential employers, especially for someone's first IT position).

You could always apply and use it for interview experience, you don't have to take the job if offered.

11. buy_my_cookies

thanks for advice, was just wondering how low it was compared to other entry level jobs. i will give it a go tho, werth a try and all that but.only thing is i reli dont want to be on a wage that low for any longer then 6 months, but as others have said even just the interview is good experiance

12. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

minimum wage is £5.85 an hour I believe.

Go for it, you don't want to get in a situation like me as I could end up facing a 6k paydrop and if the payrise that I may get comes through it'll end up being 13k :blink:blink:blink

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  13. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

For a 37 hour week thats £11,255 a year, £938 a month before tax.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  14. buy_my_cookies

going to apply anyway. just wanted to know if that was extremly low wage, and unheard of. because if it was it would have put me off working there. kind of gives the impression they dont care about you.

15. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I have a colleague with an IT support company and his lowest paid Junior technician is paid £12k and that's for a 40 hour week.

Public Sector jobs at junior levels generally don't pay too well - usually at the lower end.

A lot of schools near me take a graduate for their placement year to run their IT and so the person changes each year - they don't really care about having an IT policy/strategy - just want someone cheap to do the job.

Could be good experience though so you have to weigh that up too.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  16. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Incorrect, this is the current minimum wage taken from the HMRC website:

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  17. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I know a few members have voiced concern about only staying in a job for a short space of time and then moving on. For entry level jobs this is to be expected though, the amount of turnover in my first full time IT job (corporate helpdesk) was unbelievable. People were leaving before we completed the first month which was training for a new contract, I left after 9 months.

It hasn’t done me any harm, I ditched my second job after 11 months as the pay was crap but the work was great for my CV.

I have been in my current job for 3 years and it was worth all the job changes earlier on as I finally found a decent well paid job (eventually!) that is challenging most of the time. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  18. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

I once saw an IT job advertised with a 10k salary!

Don't do what someone I know did, do a 1st line job for 9 months, quit and do something totally different, then try and get back in to IT a few years later (he said it was like starting from scratch with no experience).

19. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

That's a pretty poor wage. I agree with the others though, if you can take the hit then I would. You're not losing a massive amount and the potential increase after 6+ months heavily outweighs the loss.

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  20. Ryan

Ryan Byte Poster

In my experience, they dont

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP:EA, Microsoft Certified Solutions Ascociate (2008), 70-662