IPv6 host addressing

Discussion in 'Network+' started by Dexter, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Dexter

Dexter Nibble Poster

HI guys

I'm getting mighty confused with the stuff Im reading about IPv6 host addressing and I think you guys can probably help :)

I've been using the Groth book and I'm finding its pretty good in general but Its IPv6 addressing bit is confusing... the bit about upstream supplier, local and link local addesses is the problem. I understand the address structure but I'm getting confused about the address(es) each host should be getting so I went searching on the Inernet (Google is your freind and all that) and thats only confused me more. It seems either everybody has a different opinion about what a host should be getting or they're saying the same thing but in very different ways :blink

One minute I'll be reading about Link-local addresses, All-nodes multicast addresses, Unicast or anycast addresses and in another article it'll say a host should only have a local and a global address. I understand some of these are assigned automatically and so I dont have to worry about them but when i take a peak at the IPv6 setup in VIsta if I choose to set a address manually I just need a host address, network identifier and default gateway!!

Can anybody help put me straight on this one??

Certifications: A+ N+ MCDST
    WIP: LPIC-1 - HTML - MYSQL
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Part of the problem with IPv6 is that it is a moving target. A lot of things have been proposed, tested and found wanting, then dropped.

So you need to be fairly cautious about what any given web-site says.

My favourite book/web-site for this is The TCP/IP Guide. And the author notes the problems with keeping up.

If you *really* need to know what the state of play is then you need to read the RFCs and track the changes.

However - I suspect this will be too much detail for Network+. My exam three years ago had no IPv6 in it - but I don't know how much has changed since then.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

And, just checking my memory on some things, I see that the TCP/IP Guide is now out-of-date, as it talks about site-local, which has been deprecated by RFC 3879 and somewhat replaced by unique-local (RFC 4193). :ohmy

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Dexter

Dexter Nibble Poster

Thanks for the info (and the reply) :biggrin

Thats probably why I've found it difficult to grasp. I'm not necessarily looking to know all about IPv6 but just cover myself for any exam nasties. Typically I hadn't actually looked at the objectives for mentions of IPv6 although it is there:

So can anybody help me with the last part? What does IPv6 need in order to have normal connectivity over the net? I guess I could just use Vista as a guide to current IPv6 configuration. What do you think? :blink

Certifications: A+ N+ MCDST
    WIP: LPIC-1 - HTML - MYSQL