IPsec VPN, MPLS VPN and Metro Ethernet?

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by kobem, Jan 15, 2011.

1. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

A few questions :

General question- Q1) Can anyone tell me about these critical subjects especially MPLS?

My main concern is how companies communicate with their branches over Internet using technologies and methods pointed above.

i have been working on a big company enhanced by the first one fed sometimes via remote access going over existing lines to connect remote locations.(customer side). Sometimes site-to-site type.

Specific questions :

Q2) First, while a site is connected to another site over Internet, WAN providers offer two subscriptions for each or only one(only for the name of the company) ?

Q3) what kind of advantages do MPLS have over IPsec when VPN applications used ?

Q4) How should i compare Metro Ethernet with DSL connections? what I know well is DSL uses existing
    standard copper lines(occupied by telephone company) , and as an encapsulation PPPoE also needs modems
    on both sides for Internet access whereas, Metro Ethernet is differenced by using fast fibre cables
    but uses same encapsulation. Am i wrong ?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
    Certifications: CCNA
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

And it begins again...

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Not being funny but since your a CCNA certified guy shouldn't you know what MPLS is?

MPLS works at layer 2 & 3 of the OSI and uses labels to transmit data from one node to another. Depending on what the label information is depends which bit of data goes out first. Sort of like whichever machines has a token means which can communicate first.

So basically you make an MPLS VPN to do your routing.

MPLS lets network admins have more flexability and also allows to route traffic around link failures it is also cost effective.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

So, MPLS is a bit like Ethernet or Token ring ? but uses labels instead of frames?

Certifications: CCNA
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Unless you're an ISP, you won't likely need an MPLS VPN to do anything for you.

If you have to ask what MPLS is for, you're not ready to learn MPLS (nor do you really have a need to learn MPLS).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!