iPods! Anyone any good at 'em?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Cockles, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Hi all

Wondering if anyone has a fair knowledge of iPods, I clearly don't!

I have only had an iPod for about 8 months, got one of those 4GB nano jobbies. However, I recently noticed that when I connect it to my iTunes - and also when it shows up in My Computer - it is only detecting it as having 3.6GB capacity. I appreciate that some space is set aside for it's inner workings (which is about 25mb), and over time you lose space, but 400MB and it being only 8 months old seemed a little bit much!

I've tried reformatting it but to no avail. Has anybody had this problem/know of any solutions, or is it just duff.

Thanks guys, love and lollipops

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

That's just how its made matey. It's just like when you purchase a 200 gig hard-drive and it shows as 195 gig for instance.

Here's a link for a review of such an ipod - link

I quote - "The BAD NEWS! First thing you will learn is your 4G Nano is really only a 3.6G nano after format. So you chunk 400MB out the window."

Hope this helps.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Grandpa's teeth!!!

I fully appreciated that there would be a bit of loss, just didn't think there would be so much! How on Earth will I get my M People collection on there now!!!

Cheers Qs, just wanted to make bang on sure before I started shouting at Apples

4. Qs

Sucks eh? :(

Not my choice of music but hey! To save space do either (or both) of the following:-

• Turn off album art so that you're not storing additional pointless images on your Nano.

• Reduce the bit-rate (quality) of your songs making them smaller in size. Information on how to do this can be found here Don't go overboard with this though, there's a fine line between space saving and horrible sounding music.

No worries. :) Shout at them anyway! It'll make you feel better.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Dude, I hope to dear Lord you realise I jest about M People!!!!! :biggrin

6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

There was a court case against Creative a while back, because they were reporting mp3 player sizes based on 1000MB to the GB, rather than 1024MB. So an advertised 30GB unit actually only had 29.30GB. Im sure it was Creative.

Guess what. Apple are the same. Check out here

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

As well as the other comments here - it may be that you aren't measuring it in the correct units. Was that 3.6GB actually in 'computer/binary' based units, or in 'decimal' based units?

Because that difference is about right if one is GB and the other is GiB.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. hbroomhall

Having looked this up on the 'net I see several posts pointing out that the box for the iPod actually states that by 1GB they mean 1 billion bytes. So I suspect that your measure of 3.6GB is not using the same units!

Harry.

9. Qs

Yep Harry, spot on. On apple's official site (as Fergal has previously pointed out) - "1GB = 1 billion bytes; actual formatted capacity less."

10. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Thieving gits, they've stolen my space.

Gents, as ever, I thank you and your factual reasoning. iPods and that are one thing in gadgets I am really behind on. Every day's and education!

11. Qs

Happy to help! :)

Now go listen to some M People ;)

12. hbroomhall

<Grin> They haven't stolen any space - just measured it differently. :p

And this problem with the two different measurements isn't restricted to iPods, it is all over computing.

Right click a drive in explorer and select properties. You will see the space used/available shown in both measurement styles.

Harry.

13. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

omg! I've become invisible.....

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  14. Qs

Who said that? :p

15. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Think I'd rather listen to Kerry Katona justify her existence than listen to M People

Never realised about the measurements Harry. Thanks for the advice.