iPhone

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by westernkings, Nov 21, 2010.

1. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Hey gents,

Is it worth me getting an iPhone 4? my contract is up for renewal in Febuary next year (but available now). I never usually get 24 Month contracts because it's too long a commitment. Currently have the Samsung Omnia i8910 HD which is amazing and still working perfectly, the camera is absolutely amazing as is the video, but times a changing.

Should I wait until my contract fully runs out to see what apple has dumped out? should I just stick with Samsung (I have always loved Samsung products). The VAT Rise comes into practice in January so prices will go up, but I don't wanna jump the gun and sign up to an 18/24 month contract (leaning towards 24 month with orange as it seems to be the only length that gets you unlimited texts) and then find that a new one gets released 2 months in.

Oh the Dilemma.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  2. free.heron

free.heron Nibble Poster

• I have the iPhone 4 and I can tell you that its a brilliant device and very well made.
    • Not had a single problem with it and Apples customer service is excellent.
    • Apple always follow the same product / release cycle meaning we get a iphone every year around the same time (June / July).
    • If you can wait until then, great! get the iphone 5 otherwise consider the iphone 4 or other devices.
    • Blackberry seems to be a good alternative at the moment although I personally wouldn't get a touch screen one.

Hope that helps

Certifications: ITIL v3
    WIP: CCENT
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Not sure, tbh, I've currently got an IPhone and when the contract is up for renewal next year will be considering other makes/models - pros/cons, price, features, etc...

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Overpriced piece of lifestyle tat. You will not find anyone who has used an HTC Desire and an iPhone who will tell you that the iPhone is better.

That said, I own Apple stock, so the more people that keep drinking the kool-aid, the better.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Actually the infrastructure manager at my place has used not only the Desire and the iPhone 4 but also the HD7 and various Blackberries but he keeps going back to the iPhone as his phone of choice.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

I second Zeb's comments and think only get Apple if you've got money to burn. Friend of mine paid £600 for one and it doesn't do anything my Desire can't. Another mate just got the Desire HD which is very good but a bit large IMO. My advice is save the cash and get a desire. Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  7. free.heron

free.heron Nibble Poster

I think we past a point where people buy phones for features. It seems to be about how you interactive with the device and the customer/user experience which would be the reason why Apple seems to do so well.

For example: First iPhone didn't even have the function to send multimedia messages - and Apple still did what they do best. They sold it.

8. westernkings

See, I've never bought into the whole iPhone thing until recently, after all, my Samsung 8910 does everything the iPhone does and more, except not as smooth or as aesthetically pleasing but the iPhone just puts it all into an easy to do package and it looks so good!.

I've had a look at the other phones but none have caught my fancy, think I'm going to stick with my phone for now, it is perfectly fine, 2 day battery life with mild usage, 8MP Camera. I think it's the sharpness of that screen that makes me want the iphone.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  9. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I really like the blackberry for email, I get a free one from work so I don't really need to purchase another phone. On the other hand I do own an iPod so the combination of an iPod and a blackberry makes it perfect for me.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  10. MyNameIsNotBen

MyNameIsNotBen New Member

Happy HTC Desire fan here. Used to be with BlackBerry but was intrigued by the Android OS and what is has to offer. I have never been one for Apple products, they are overpriced and have a poor shelf life! That being said, the Touchscreen keyboard is pretty good - but that is all.

Certifications: AS Computing
  11. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

The only real question to ask yourself is:

'Do I want people to think I'm a c**t?' while you're walking down the street.

In case that doesn't hit the mark, you have to ask:

'Do I want to be killed to death in an alley by some pikey who also wants to be a c**t, but can't afford it?'

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  12. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

I'd hate to be killed to death, that or wake up dead would make me very annoyed!

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  13. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

Personally, its overpriced crap and i hate apple as a company. My mate has had 2 iphone 4s and they both have the same problem where he gets no reception. He lives and works in central London. Personally I think htc have better and cheaper phones. I would get a Desire HD instead.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  14. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

OMG can't he just hold it different way. (Steve Jobs' words).

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  15. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

I got an iphone4 2 weeks ago, got to say that although it's overpriced it's by far the best piece of tech I've every bought. Will you be annoyed with price? Most likely. Will you annoyed with product. Doubt it.

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals
  16. westernkings

Actually central London is just like that! one street has full reception, the other has literally none. It's an odd situation. both Vodaphone and O2 really suffered last time I was down there, Orange and T-Mobile were rocking though.

17. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

[​IMG]

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  18. free.heron

free.heron Nibble Poster

Personally, I think the Lamborghini murcielago is overpriced crap and i hate Lamborghini as a company. My mate has had 2 of them and they both have the same problem where they burn all the petrol driving down the road. He lives and works in central London. Personally I think Datsuns have better fuel efficiency and are cheaper cars. I would get a Datsun instead. :biggrin

I just upgraded to 4.2 - Can't wait to try out airplay, it looks pretty neat
    Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGWFXTn7WAE&feature=player_embedded

19. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

So if you take the Apple logo of it you will like it then? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  20. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

*Blatant avertising*

I like my Win Phone 7, any thought on getting that instead :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM