iphone stuff

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zxspectrum, Apr 7, 2009.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Ive been looking and i cant see anywhere , yet so i thought id see if anyone here knows of anything. Im thinking of getting an phone 3g, and if they arent planning on bringing a new version then ill plug for one of them,. Just wondering if anyone knows of a new i phone???

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

I think they are overpriced, but that aside, I would wait. The next one is going to support 802.11n and possibly FM (including transmission!) and a few other tweaks.

The price might be more competitive by then aswell thanks to all the clones/palm pre/windows mobile 6.5 etc.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

You may want to read this:

Apple iPhone and iPod Rumor Round-Up

The whispering about new features on Apple’s iPhone and iPod touch products is growing louder, as blogs, financial analysts and Apple insiders debate the veracity of unconfirmed reports and unnamed sources. The latest buzzing regards the iPod touch, which may or may not be getting a camera (and 802.11n Wi-Fi capability) when the device is upgraded.

As programmers slice apart the 3.0 software operating system for the iPhone, features such as stereo Bluetooth-audio streaming are surfacing. A report by Lazard Capital Markets semiconductors analyst Daniel Amir, which was picked up by AppleInsider, suggests production of two versions of iPhones will be introduced this year, debuting in June.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Ok the rumors are as follows

1) the next iphone will be an incremental upgrade - better camera, FM, higher res screen etc
    2) Come June (the traditional anouncement window for the iPhone) they will announce a range of iPhones from the often quoted iPhone nano (a cut down version same as in the ipod line) and then a "super" iPhone which will likely be as point 1 with the current 3g making the made range point.

There was a third rumor kicking around but I cant remember what it is, but in the main the speculation is on these points. There are some facts such as Apple buying up all of Samsungs flash memeroy production between January and May. To put that into persepective Samsung are one of, if not the largest producer of flash memory in the word - so they are up to something.

As for the Price metalstar they are unlikely to come down, Apple has always made you pay the extra price so you feel that you are getting a premium product and given the huge sucsess that they have had with the first two generations of iPhone (both have sold out on multiple occasions) why would they drop the price when their market share is only climbing?

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

Since Micro$oft has been nailing them with the new add campaign with the every day person looking for a laptop, I think Apple is soon going to feel some pressure to lower the prices. In these times even Apple can't hide from the economy, especially when they are playing to the elitist crowd who are spending money because they can, too many are frowning on this practice. So I think yes with the Pre coming in the near future, the Android OS going to a 2nd gen of phones and the Nokia N97 coming, I think Apple is going to be forced to lower it's premium price to stay competitive.

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
  6. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Cheers for the heads up guys, i think ill wait and ponder the N97 or the newest i phone, im going to buy one. Hope the iphone and N97 are going to try and fight each other, thatr can only be good for my wallet. Ive been looking at some of the apps forthe iphone, and unless the N97 is that good, i think ill be swayed towards the iphone.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  7. Metalstar

Cheers phoenicks, answered the question for me :)

That exactly my thinking. When the iPhone came out, there were very few phones that were anywhere near as capable as it (apart from those aimed at the business market). It's prompted others to jump on the bandwagon and margins will be squeezed as ever.

I'm holding out to convince the bosses to get the next gen of Android phone :D

8. Sco0t

Sco0t Byte Poster

You sure about the new iPhone. I heard they were going to keep the current one and just bring out higher capacity models (32GB+). I know the new iPhone OS 3.0 is coming out mid june, didnt hear anything about another new iPhone release, but sounds like I might be wrong :P

Certifications: Bsc Net/Sys Support, HND Tech Support
  9. Metalstar

That's the way apple do it. They say nothing and then release something everyone wants or they hype some "new product" and it ends up being a piece of stainless steel with an LED sellotaped to it. Of course it still sells :)

Can't knock them though, I can't see a way of improving the ipod classic!

10. Gingerdave

All just speculation on my behalf and those that I liberated the ideas from! :biggrin

11. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Im still not quite feeling this iphone thing, yes its shiny and has a whizzy UI, but when a phone cant even do things that my k800i can then I ain't buying it. Granted I use a phone for taking reasonable quality pictures, txt/mms and voice plus the occasional bit of video calling.

So dunno perhaps the next release of the iphone will get me thinking about it again but there are some basic features on it at the moment that I cant live without.

[​IMG]

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  12. Gingerdave

I like the picture - made me chuckle.

However let me ask you something - when was the last time you sent an mms, or made a video call, or used it as a video camera?

13. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

what the iphone can do (for me) far outweighs the missing mms/video recording/video call.

Why would you need a changeable memory card for the iphone anyway?

email > mms

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  14. Gingerdave

Agreed, and looks like its will be fixed in the next firmware upgrade.

Not always, as many people don't pick emails up on their phone. Everyone says it cant forward messages, it cant do video, it cant do MMS but I can count on one hand the number of times I do all of those things in a year. But that is my usage habits.

15. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

There is an app for MMS, should you *really* want it, like me :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
  16. Metalstar

Great pic. Made me laugh.

I agree that if it can do what you want, then it is a great phone, but you can get the same features (minus the app store) on other phones at a fraction of the cost.

Might just be me, but I know 4 people with iPhones, all of whom talk alot so they went with the £75 a month package, that's £1350 for the life of the contract :o

17. danielno8

They definately should though, google mail account is free, data is free (on o2 anyway not so sure about everywhere else), meaning there is no cost to send the email (like there is mms) and you can send bigger files.

18. danielno8

one of the biggest selling points lol

I don't see the big difference in prices. My previous contract was £35 a month, with a free phone. No wifi, so all web browsing cost me money. half as many minutes, but unlimited texts.

My new contract is £45 a month, with 1200 mins and 500 texts, unlimited data usage and free connection to clous etc.

WELL worth the money.

19. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I do use MMS quite alot and video calling is useful to me as well for some people I talk to so yes your right its horses for courses really. When my blackberry came to the end of its contract last year as work gave me one I didnt need it, none of the new phones really perked my interest so I plumpted for a 2nd hand k800i (had one before and loved it) and a 1 month rolling contract on o2. get 1000 minutes 600 txts/mms a month plus unlimited web bolt on.

So I've got twibble and opera mini loaded plus the built in ability means its all I need for the moment at £19 a month!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  20. Gingerdave

And I think that is the big point. MMS, Cut and Paste video recording and some others are due to be resolved with the June firmware update which removes lots of that.

Metalstar

I agree at £75/month it is not worth it and its worth noting that my Macbook is less then that! the £45/month proposition is a better one I think, and the one I went with.