iPhone salary calculator (UK)

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by JamesStill, Aug 26, 2010.

1. JamesStill

JamesStill Bit Poster

Ok guys - firstly - this is a shameless plug. But it's for a useful tool which is free. If I'm breaking any rules please feel free to delete this post / thread but otherwise, enjoy :)

UK Salary Tax Calculator
    A simple app which allows you to input your current and new salaries and it will calculate the difference in take home.
    The old salary is optional so you can use it to see what salary a new job will offer in full. or you can compare it with what you're on at the moment.

It allows input and output in hourly, daily, weekly, monthly or annual figures (you can make input and output different) and breaks down your salary to Gross, Taxable, Tax, Student Loan, NI and Takehome.

It includes the standard 20%, 40% and 50% tax rates and the decreasing personal allowance over £100k.

I made it to see what difference my new raise made, but I hope you will find it useful too.

And it's all in a one screen app :)

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/uk-salary-tax-calculator/id366872441?mt=8

Note: There are iAds, but they're unobtrusive at the bottom of the screen.

More features will be added in future updates.

Thanks for reading
    James

Certifications: ISEB Foundation Cert in Software Testing
    WIP: More ISEB.....
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Not bad.

However, I use The Salary Calculator to calculate mine, and have found it to be about spot on in all honesty. Comparing it to yours for my current salary There are a few discrepancies:

Daily: Spot on with all values
    Weekly: 1p out on NI (you were down); 2p out on Take-Home (you were up)
    Monthly: 5p out on NI (you were down); 5p out on Take-Home (you were up)
    Annual: 55p out on NI (you were down); 55p out on Take-Home (you were up)

Obviously, the discrepancy will grow as the salary grows, but even so the values arent far enough out to be significant in gaining a guideline on salary. Although it would probably be worth identifying the cause of the discrepancy (and im not saying you are the one at fault either, just that the discrepancy exists).

Certainly for a free app its pretty good though. nice clean interface (although I would prefer it not to be grey), pretty intuitive to figure out what to do.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. JamesStill

JamesStill Bit Poster

Thanks for the comments Fergal,

The errors are probably due to some element of rounding. Looks like I'll need to revisit some of the math behind it.

I used to use the salary calculator website too. It's always been exactly what I needed, except I really hated having to enter two sets of figures and working out the difference to find out what benefit I get from a salary change, hence the app.

As far as the grey goes, i was trying for a metallic / stamped look. It seems I failed. I'm going to add some colour in with the next update :)

Again, thanks for your comments - I really appreciate them.

Jame

Certifications: ISEB Foundation Cert in Software Testing
    WIP: More ISEB.....